Simulation

Hi everyone.

I'm modeling a shed and I'd like to add a kind of "cap" in front of the entrance to avoid rain in it.

So far no problem :-)

I had to add load-bearing beams and I would like to calculate their resistance. So these load-bearing beams are in fact an assembly of several parts.

I first recreated this assembly as if it were only one piece.

That's also good.

So when I run the simulation with this part, and when I see the result, we see that a part deforms (the beam) but not the reinforcement underneath, nor the fixing plate...  

Normal doc?

Thank you for your help

poutrelle_complete_en_pieces.sldprt

Hello

this is normal since the sketch of your Tube (Boss.Extru.3 ) is not constrained in relation to the gusset, so SW does not consider these parts as solid. You need to constrain your sketch on the bottom edge.

A small remark by the way

You use a force of 15500 N, but since it is a cap, you want to protect yourself against the weight of the snow.
Now snow (or a bale of hay or grain) is not a force but a mass.

It is therefore necessary to use a distributed mass without forgetting to declare the direction of gravity by selecting the top plane.

Second remark, I suggest you do the simulation on the entire cap and not a single hook because if you report the mass declared on the surface on the top of the tube (23458.33 mm² or 0.0234 M²) it means that you live in the Canadian far north with 15 meters of snow after the avalanche  ;-)   ;-) ;-)
For the record, 50 cm of snow is about 100kg/m2.
Indeed, it is the entire structure that is normally self-reinforcing that must be considered.

Kind regards

2020-05-15_16_45_29-simulation_casquette.jpg
1 Like

Right, I can do it now!! Awesome!!

Thank you for your help.

To come back to your advice on the charges that are made on this cap.

The latter is quite large, since it comes out of 3 meters and has a total surface area of 116M².

I planned to load it with 50 cm of spring snow (300kg/m²) which gives a mass of 7.2 tons.

The structure with the cover panels weighs 2.2 tons, which is 9.4 tons in the worst case.

So I divided this load by 7 (since there are 7 arms) which gives me 1350kg of thrust per arm

I'd like to know if the 200x6 beams with this rib underneath, under strong enough.

To be sure, don't you want to launch a study to see if it holds up?

If you need more data or the entire file, ask for it.

Thank you already for your advice at the beginning and for the rest if you want to help me.

a+

1 Like

Hello @Fréderic

Ok okay for the charge because I didn't have all the elements of what was above the room. Obviously if you have panels above I understand the load on a smaller surface.

Pass me the ASM but you have to do a "Pack and go" so that I have all the parts as well as the result of your simulations all in a ZIP.

Don't forget to tell me how everything will be fixed and all the support points (wall or other framework) because I don't have his information. I am always attentive to stories of tearing, buckling, spills, etc...

I want to help you with the simulation but rather on how to use Simulation and see if you are more or less in the right place: but I will not endorse the calculations (not being qualified Qualibat 2411 to 2412) which is the role of a licensed design office (like Veritas and others) for self-construction.

Kind regards

Hello Zozo.

I compiled everything as requested in a zip file.

You'll see the 7 arms of the cap are screwed on the main IPN not 6 screws of M16.

I have planned a little trick to further strengthen these fasteners, but I'll tell you about it after the study.

Thank you already for all the help on this file.

remaining available.

a+

assemblage_entree_hangar_naas.zip

Hello@Frederic

It is impossible to make an overall simulation because too many elements are incorrect. Those in the image but also several IPNs that are in a vacuum and on which nothing is based.

In addition, the data you provided for the first simulation is incorrect because the forces will be made on three points and not on the entire upper surface of the square tube.

Indiscreet question (which you are not obliged to answer) Do you have any know-how or expertise in the construction of a steel structure?
Indeed, he finds this assembly very curious to be honest. In particular on S-profiles with a 1.5 thick sheet, abundantly perforated and without any fixings, etc...

Kind regards

So indeed, I didn't draw everything because it's a lot of work for not much, since the hangar is already standing.

I'm in charge of drawing just the cap you see and which protrudes 3m. 

We only have to take into account the large beam which has a span of 16 m or so, with the cap.

Regarding your indiscreet question (which doesn't have one), no I don't have any specific knowledge in these structures, but I only make the plans to determine the lengths for the realization of a future quote. I also do the situation, so that everyone can see the thing once it's over. The idea is also to be able to have data for the preparation of a quote.

I wanted to push further and see if I could do a little simulation on these supports (7 in total) that's all. But I'm interested in learning, that's for sure so if you can help me progress, I'm willing to do so.

@frederic

As the plan is not for execution but as an indication of need in the form of mini specifications, it is up to the metalworker to make the execution plans according to the rules of the art.

However, in relation to your initial question about the simulation, I make some comments in the attached image.

Kind regards

2020-05-19_10_15_30-simulation_sur_hangar_a_casquette-_vue_2.jpg

Then:

As for radial deformation, it is guaranteed by the reinforcement tubes that connect the sheets that support the fiber cement plates. The latter, once screwed on, also ensure the rigidity of the assembly for which is still the radial.

The fixing holes,. Just I added two holes at the bottom to avoid lifting

As for the angle, it is done on purpose that it is not identical, because the beams must not go under the lower level of the main beam, to prevent the machines from hitting it when entering or leaving.

For the fastening bolts, in fact, we will draw the bolts because they are the ones that will support the whole.

Namely that I will add one more reinforcement precisely not to make the bolts suffer too much, as in the photo. They will be welded on the upper part once everything is level.