Simulate Standard Stamping Tool with Constraints (solidworks 2012)

Hello

I am currently making a stamping tool on SW 2012. The tool is standard: footing, shock plate, punch holder, blank holder, die holder, shock plate, footing. 

I try to simulate with the constraints: that only when the blank holder comes into contact with the die holder, the punch holder also goes down, then consequently, that the punch holder goes up and that thanks to the shoulder screws (connecting the punch holder and the blank holder) the blank holder also goes up. The usual movement of a stamping tool. 

After several attempts with the constraints of limit distances, I did not succeed in doing so. 

Does anyone have an idea how to do it.

Thanks in advance!

Hello

Do you want to manage this just in terms of constraints or do a movement study?

Via the counteraintes, as you have tested, you will not be able to simulate the spring effect (play catch-up). But in the study of movement it is possible.

Do you have a little diagram that would be clearer for those who are not familiar with this kind of editing?

3 Likes

Hello

If I understand correctly, I'm not sure it's possible, because SolidWorks doesn't take gravity into account!

So the ascent can be done randomly!

You can also use SolidWorks motion if the goal is to make an animation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OT5_ZWrFQM

1 Like

Otherwise, you will have to use several configurations with active or removed constraints, depending on the descent or ascent.

2 Likes

And if you model your flat sheet with a spline, which when compressed, will fit the shape of the die.

A bit like the simulation of a belt.

Edit: In sheet metal, no spline... Try with a boss.

1 Like

Here is a simplified diagram of the tool with the supported screws.

The problem I had was indeed for the descent because it doesn't take into account the gravity.

If this is more feasible with a movement study, I will try it in this way

Thank you for your answers

image-45135_1.png
1 Like

So, yes, it will be easier with the motion manager.

In addition to the previous link, see this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fja0hn-M2uM

1 Like