Solidworks 2013. Convert a STEP file to Solid

Solidworks 2013. Convert a STEP file to Solid to perform material removals?

Hello

Two solutions:

- Open and select the step extension to view your file. then "save"

- Select, drag, and drop your file into the SolidWorks window. then "save"

Hello

By default, the recovery options of the STEP must create a solid (if there is a solid in the step)!

When you open the STEP file in SolidWorks, you can enter the options (be careful to select STEP in the list of files and not "all files")!

You can read the STep (e.g. Notepad++) with a text editor to find out what it contains.

@+

3 Likes

Hello

Once the file is opened as indicated by Raimanu, you must obtain a volume body to perform your material removals.

So if you have a surface only model, use the "Thicken" function in "Insert - Boss/Base". If you don't have access to it directly, you can launch the "Diagnostic" function and repair the surfaces that could not be rebuilt. The repair can be "Automatic" or "Manual" but usually when opening the Step file SolidWorks asks you to launch the "Diagnostic" function.

Kind regards

4 Likes

Re

If the file is not confidential, pass it on to us so that we can test.

@+

1 Like

Re

To complete my words, the "Import Diagnostics" function is launched by right-clicking on the "Surface-Imported" function in your creation tree. You will be able to click on "Try to fix everything". It works quite well.

diag_import.jpg
2 Likes

Thank you for your answers., but none of them work. :-(

Re

So there is no solid in the step originally in my opinion!

You can't pass us the step I guess!

By sewing no better?

By opening the step in Notepad++ it will tell you which software it comes from, it can help us understand!

One last question to try to help you, what is the "type of part" (mechanical, sheet metal, left shape, ....)?

@+

The file may be protected or corrupted

Eventually we will have to provide us with your step so that we can work on it.

It is likely that it will be necessary to work on it a little manually to correct the boundaries of the defective surfaces in order to be able to recreate a closed volume and therefore a volume body.

At first a first pass via the import diagnosis seems to me an excellent idea, once the biggest problem is corrected this way you will have to see where there are still discontuinity and correct the geometry manually with surface functions until you have plugged all the holes

1 Like

Hello

Check in the import options if "use B-Rep projection" is checked. This promotes the creation of volume.

File -> open > select Step and then Options.