Solidworks 2015, how to build using profile scraps

Hello everyone. I'm starting with solidworks and slowly I'm moving forward, so thank you for your indulgence but you have to get started. My problem, I want to draw the rendering of a terrace. For this I have created my wooden profiles and I use the welded construction function. The problem is that the software places the profile on the entire surface of the sketch when in reality it is 6m long. Of course, I can split the profile, but it's becoming a gas plant. Can someone tell me how to make the software split the profile that comes out of the sketch to position it as the first element during a linear repetition. Well I hope I'm clear enough. Have a good day everyone.

Hello

In fact you would have to create a part (tube 60.3 ep 2mm, I think with 6m of lg) by drawing it alone then insert it into your assembly and then do your repetition as you wish.

1 Like

Thank you cobra I've already tried but it's not very practical. I don't know if you've ever done parquet for example, but when you cut your last plank you use the scrap to restart and so on. That's what I would like to be able to do in a simple way. 

We can make a family of plays if you know.

Hello

I don't see what native feature of SolidWorks would allow you to do that.

The two solutions I see are to go through a macro or to go through an excel sheet (it's easier sometimes) in which you define with formulas the rules for cutting and reusing the scrap or scraps.

It's not easy because if you want a certain harmony, sometimes you have to put the chute two or three rows further and be at the top, either at the bottom (or on the right side or on the left side) depending on how the installer works.

That said, in Excel it is easy to define the most complex rules you want.

The old adage says IF then Zen But falls ;-)

You can even color your cells with three colors and simulate the layout of your floor directly in your sheet.

Another possibility in excel is to use VBA which allows a more flexible programming.

From the excel file you can directly control your plans under SW. Our colleagues will tell you how to do it.

Kind regards

Thanks guys, in fact I found it simpler (I think) I drew my first blades managing the recovery of the cuts, then I adjusted according to my two end planes and finally I made a linear repetition and result at the top. There are certainly simpler things but it does the job. Thank you again for your interventions because just talking about your problem to a third party often leads to being inspired by the answers to find the solution. Have a good Sunday to you.

1 Like