Solidworks 2015 - Creating a mold from a 3d scan file

Hello everyone,

I call on the community to get me out of a mess:

I have a file from a 3d scan. This file, originally in STL, has been transformed into a STEP by the scanning provider. It naturally appears as an imported volume in the solidworks tree.

It goes without saying that these are completely awkward shapes and moreover facetized (scan obliges). I am trying to create a mold that will allow me to reproduce these parts but I dry up completely when creating the mold: how do I define a parting line without being able to lean on a surface? Projecting a sketch may be possible but not safe (select each small face one by one?).

I may know where I want my separation plane (I created a ref plane in its location) but I don't know how to integrate it into the molding functions.

If anyone has an idea, it would be a great help ;).

Thank you in advance to all.

I don't know the molding module but when you say "The projection of a sketch may be possible but not safe (select each small face one by one?)", are you looking to have the silhouette or the intersection with the parting line?

For the intersection, in the sketch located on the parting line, you do "intersection curve" (which is hidden with the "convert entities" tool), it should work.

Hello

Look at this post;

http://www.lynkoa.com/forum/3d/soustraire-piece-partir-de-2-pieces-dans-un-asm

Is it possible to see your part 

It might be wise to clean your step 

before creating your mold

c long but I think a mandatory passage

@+

Hi all

I'm going to give you a quick feedback to show how I finally got away with the "combine" feature.

The idea is that given the head of the model and the amount of surfaces, I couldn't see myself taking them one by one to try to get something "smooth" out of them.

Given the purpose of the product (no aesthetic or mechanical constraints), the takeover was not justified.

So I started with my 3D from the scan (in room mode),
Immediately make a copy of the volume body without moving it in space (we'll see why later),
I added a body to it that symbolizes the body of the mold,
I then used the "combine" function in "subtraction" mode to create the first fingerprint.
From there, I created the 2nd half of the mold body
This is where copying the part to be moulded comes in: when using the "combine" function, the two volume bodies used are transformed into one, they no longer exist independently of each other. To be able to reuse a body, it is therefore necessary to plan to make a copy of it before the first use of "combine".
The second part of the mould can therefore be created using the copy of the part and the 2nd mould body.

I'll spare you the details of the small inevitable replays to avoid undercuts. As well as the addition of the injection cone.

Then, by reusing the "copy body" function and the "combine" function it is easy to create very simple molds with several cavities (here it was a fishing pellet mold of very specific shape and patented, that's why I don't publish a photo, forgive me).

Thank you all, at least everyone.

Ps: we can continue the exchanges if some have suggestions or questions about the procedure I described.