Solidworks 2020 SP4 - Issue: Part Family Editing Became Impossible

Hello

I created a family of parts that worked very well despite the relatively high number of configurations (16) and derived configurations (from 1 to 13) that it manages.

But recently, it has been impossible to edit the family of parts because Solidworks sends me the following message:

While I design on a computer that clearly has no memory problem available: HP Z600 - 24GB of RAM.

Here's what it looks like with Solidworks open and the part with the open family:

I tried to save the excel of the family externally with the idea of making my modifications and then pointing to this file in the configuration of the family of parts but it does not want to save the family in XLSX, no error message but no file created either...

Who would have an idea please?

Hello

which version of Excel do you have? Because with Office 365 there are a lot of problems,

1 Like

I'm drifting a bit about Office 365.
Apparently there are 2 kinds of Office 365:
- one that is only online (Apps version);
- one that is installed on the machine.
And for SW, it's the second that is needed, knowing that obviously it's not the same price.

To answer @Dxmax , I'm assuming you've turned your machine off and on again.
Have you tried to open it on another machine?
Which version of SW?

If you have just migrated, it is also possible that the Excel format has changed (from xls to xlsx).

What I noticed during my 2014 ->2020 switch is that SW recalculated all the configurations when inserting a library function.

What happens is that SW converts the library function to the 2020 version before importing the selected function and in the end it's horribly long.

I was forced to reopen all my library functions and register them in 2020 (in practice it was 2019: SW2020 digests well the functions recorded in V2019 but not those in V2014).

A few good hours of fun in perspective...

At worst of worst: reopen your file with the version of SW that was fine, save the part family in Excel locally, delete the configurations, open in V2020, reimport the part family. Logically it should work.

2 Likes