Solidworks, Adjust a Body Pattern and Symmetry a Body Pattern

Hello

I've been looking for a while but I have 2 problems with my welded construction modeling:

- Problem with automatic slat adjustment:

I model a portal that is managed by equations that calculate (for example) the number of slats between the amounts. So I do a linear repetition of my first slat with a given spacing. My problem is this: when I change the length of my gate, I have to re-edit the "adjust/extend" function to select the new slats created. 

- Problem with symmetry: 

To create the second leaf, I made a symmetry of the bodies of the right leaf. The problem is similar, when I enlarge the portal, new bodies are created in the right leaf and I have to re-edit the symmetry function to select the new bodies.

Is there a way to do it so that the creation is done automatically without having to re-edit the functions? 

Thank you:)

capture.png
1 Like

Hello

Is it for an assembly or a multibody part?

1 Like

If it's for a multibody part, you could make and control the repeating of rungs in a sketch, and then delimit the extrusion with a surface.

3 Likes

see these tutorial repetition SW

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/3d/les-repetitions-sous-solidworks

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/3d/les-repetitions-sous-solidworks

tuto construction soude

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/3d/tutogarde-corps-droitlg1810

@+

1 Like

It's a multibody piece that I then insert into an assembly.

I tried to create the first leaf and then insert it into my assembly and only then do the symmetry (which works very well). But the problem with this method is when I make the list of welded parts, the elements end up in duplicate. Example:
Batten n°1 x1
Batten n°1 x1 
While I wish to: 
Slats n°1 x2

Otherwise, don't make a body repetition, but a function repetition (extrusion delimited by a surface) no need to go through a sketch.

1 Like

The problem is that my part is built with mechanically welded elements. If I make a sketch that I extrude, I no longer use my database with all my profiles and the table of welded elements will not be compliant (at least I think...)

1 Like

And this component, could you extend it?

Yes, I can extend it (currently the slat is extended in the lower part and adjusted in the upper part).

In my attachment at the beginning I used the Adjust/Extend function by selecting all the slats one by one.  

And make a sketch of the section to be extended on the middle plane (projection of the contour), extrude to a surface in both directions and merge with the part, then repeat this extrusion.

1 Like

This method seems to work at first glance. Thank you

I still have to find how to retrieve the characteristics of my basic profiles (description, ...) so that the welded parts table is up to date automatically.

I'm going to dig a little deeper.

um I don't think I can retrieve the custom properties with this method, the extrusion function is based on a sketch that can't have a feature. 

If I use this method, I'm going to have to manually change the properties of the welded parts with each change. 

1 Like

I noticed something that may help you, if you move the bodies of the repeat to the original part folder, and you vary the number of repeats between 2 and the number of bodies you moved in the folder, they will stay in that folder. Anyway, look attached...

2017-02-14_at_17-21-32.mp4

Hello

I give a method already given, repeat your bodies without limitations and do a removal of materials (interior sketch of the frame) afterwards.

@+

mecano_soude.png
2 Likes

@christophe_4

Have you looked at the tutorials posted

There's everything you want in it

@+

1 Like

Coyote would be too simple, it's sure that delimiting bodies with a surface would be ideal. But each body added by this repetition will not be taken into account, otherwise it would have to apply to all bodies including the crossbar of the frame. If you put your sketch inside the frame, do you create a game to separate the bodies?

@a.leblanc, that's why I make the bars before the frame, look at my image!:

@+

3 Likes

Good evening

Coyote gave you the best way to do things for me (and the only one I know of to date).

The problem comes from the fact that on SW, we cannot automatically select the bodies created by a function (in other words, to do for example a repetition of bodies by selecting the parent function of this field).

The idea is therefore to:

• Create your frame structure in a sketch
  • Create a second sketch for a rung, making sure it protrudes enough from the frame
  • Putting a profile on the bar
  • Doing the linear repetition
  • Create a third sketch consisting of only one line (spline, arc, but no closed outline)
  • Doing the extrusion remember to check the box "All bodies" in the group "Area of assignment of the function"
  • Put profiles on the portal frame

For the symmetry of all this, no luck, it's not possible.

2 solutions:

• Draw everything in duplicate in the sketches (dynamic symmetry to go faster) and follow the same approach as for a leaf.
  • Create an assembly and symmetrize the part. (Be careful in the MEP, the quantities are for a single leaf)

Personally, I prefer the first solution for a gate or railings.

Kind regards.

portal.sldprt
1 Like

Indeed, I agree with Coyote, we should make the bars before the frame, and use plans or sketches to delimit them, that would be the simplest. On the other hand, I don't see why a symmetry of the bodies can't be achieved afterwards according to a median plane.

Hello

@A.Leblanc: I may have gone a little too fast in saying that for symmetry, it's not possible.

It can be fed, by code or manually each time the number of rungs is changed.

As I said in my previous post, SW does not allow you to select, for a repetition of fields (or symmetry), the parent function of the fields. Therefore, how to select the bars that are not created since to make the symmetry (of the body), you have to select the bodies one by one?

If we want to make a complete symmetry, we have no choice, it's either by a macro that will recover the bodies for us or by drawing the whole.

Kind regards.