SolidWorks Boundary Boss/Base

Hello, I'm working on a project on soliworks for my baccalaureate and I chose to model a rock for my training.

So I have the sketch seen from below, the one on the right and the one from the front, but it's impossible to do the boundary boss function .

And I don't ^ want to put the smallest sketch on the scale of the others.

Do you know how to do it?

rock.sldprt

Hello

1st thing what a funny idea to want to model a rock under SW, it's not made for that!! If you're new to SW, starting with a boat hull, even partial, would be simpler.

For your problem, your sketches would already have to touch each other, this is not the case at all.

And with half sketches would be more appropriate.

Good luck.

3 Likes

Hello @ GlaAd

You should start with mechanical parts because if you manage to do them for the baccalaureate and especially for the rest of your studies it will always be useful to you (unless you are a pro at philosophy).

A funny thing to do, for example, to get your hands dirty

or this one

base.png
2 Likes

Yes but you can do almost everything with SW and as I am in the project of modalizing a lighthouse I would like to make the rock on it. And how do you do that with "half sketches"?Résultat de recherche d'images pour "phare tourlitis"

So 2 solutions:

Or make a basic base under SW.

Or have fun making it on blender for example (free) which will be more suitable for fancy shapes. Or even find ready-made ones, but less glory, but not necessarily a bad thing since what in a mechanical or other design you have to use commercial parts instead of studying and making them in your own way, is a saving of time and money.

1 Like

What is Scole Basic? An extension? 

A simple boss with guide curve is not enough? by creating two closing spline sketches and a guide spline

(look at Pj )

I made a symmetry but you can do the same on the other side.

rocher_test.sldprt
1 Like

Uh... No... a cube for example or a cylinder with a rock texture, a base ^^.

But now I'm afraid you're trying to ride a racing bike before you've learned to fit on a bike, it's pictorial of course but that's the feeling it gives me.

Simple to start with, don't torture your mind trying to make a rock with all the deformations of time, wind and oceans.

The most important thing in your design is the lighthouse and not the rock ;)

as they often say, you can't go faster than the music^^

3 Likes

Hello

Model your rock with triangular facets so that it locates the place where your lighthouse is placed, which is the real object.

And then facetized shapes are fashionable, it will look a bit geeky.

Kind regards

PS: several of my very knowledgeable and experienced colleagues make relevant suggestions, but if you don't want to follow our recommendations : then I don't think it's much use to continue the discussion that goes with what you imagine you can do.

Groucho Marx (not to be confused with Carl): I tried to play the piano several times but I think it's impossible to play this instrument.

3 Likes

Hello 

If you want to model this type of rock on SW

It's a crazy job to make it real

and it's not with 3 sketches that you'll do it

via a smoothing with multi layers ditto cardboard model

and multiply the guide curves that must be well constrained with multiprofiles 

and an independent sketch by curves

preferably in surface

The reason for the surface is that we go a little further than in volume on the deformations 

After creating the protrusions via other modeling , insert directly or via an assembly 

If you give us a model as realistic as possible, work on your headlight it will be the icing on the cake 

Good luck you have it for a long time 

PS: don't forget to record as you go

and I hope that you have a good pc

@+:-)

3 Likes

This is what I call a simple version for the rock, the lighthouse too but you will do much better I have no doubt.

And that in 20min max so we can also much better.

6 Likes