Solidworks: How do I unfold a split part?

Hi all

There you have it, I come up against a problem that seems simple, but impossible to find a solution. I searched for a long time on the forums, in case someone had the same problem as me, but obviously not...

I have a sheet metal piece that I have to split into two parts. so I use the "Split" function in exactly the same way as the SW help (see the following link: )

http://help.solidworks.com/2010/french/SolidWorks/whatsnew/AllContent/Tutorials/WN_2010/SheetMetal/wn_2010_t_splitting_the_part.html?id=d3247586db714487b1a3e8b1515c3bce#Pg0&ProductType=&ProductName=

Everything goes well, until the moment of unfolding the bodies, impossible to unfold the bodies, the "Unfold" function no longer works at all. the SW help tells us to right-click on the body and then "Unfold", the function is not there.

I'm going around in circles and I'm totally lost. I reproduced the same part as the SW aid to see if it didn't come from my part (although very simple).

I absolutely need the unfolded states of each of the bodies to be able to make my laser cuts.

Thank you in advance for the time spent understanding my problem.

Kind regards

Hello 

What version are you in and can you post your piece???

You have to use the configurations to get there, keep one congig assembly and make two other with part a and the other part b  and you will have to use the delete body function so that there is only one sheet metal body per config.

To delete a body you go to the Featuremanager and to the list of welded parts; you will have 2x Item-list-of-welded-parts then you edit and right-click on the function then you will delete/keep the body and you click on it

1 Like

After looking at the links; I think that to unfold you should not go to the list of welded piers for the unfolded if this is the case it is noramal because you ask for an unfolded but Solidworks does not know which part to unfold. 

deplie_liste_de_pieces_spudees.jpg
1 Like

Thank you Ac Cobre 427 for your help.

I see in your screenshoot that you have exactly the same configuration as in the SW help with 2 unfolded state, by opening another part of my assembly... Surprise, I have two unfolding states (one for each piece) Here are two screens, the parts are not the same, but I do have a problem in one of the two rooms.

I'm on the 2012 version of SW, I'm also attaching the part not working.

test_part22.sldprt

I have tested your Ac Cobra 427 solution with different configuration, it works indeed. It's very strange that my other part can split while keeping the parameters of a sheet metal part. I'm also attaching the working part so you can see the difference (in my opinion, that's how the part should be after the "Split" function).

So I'm going to do some configurations with your method. 

I think the subject is still to be debated because it is not in line with SW's help.

Thank you very much again Ac Cobra 427 for your help.

tole_laterale_fraction_fonctionnelle.sldprt
1 Like

After a morning of research to find the differences between my two pieces, I finally found the reason for my problem. An option in the document properties was not enabled:

Here is a screen that shows which one.

Thanks again Cobra for your solution, requiring more manipulation, but which also works very well.

2017-10-25_11h56_24.png
1 Like