SolidWorks: DrawCompare

Hi all

There are two schools of thought for making a symmetrical piece:

- Or the symmetry function, as a reminder : select a face, insert symmetrical piece, check break link at the bottom.

è Problem: the drawing becomes unusable !

- Or by modifying each of the functions by hand !

è Tedious, but the reuse of the drawing is all the easier !

But to be sure that my symmetrical piece is identical, I wanted to compare my 2 volumes !

To do this, SolidWorks offers a utility in Tools > Compare > DrawCompare.

I used geometry comparison.

First question, have you ever used it?

Second question, why doesn't it work?!?!?

I have exactly the same orientation in terms of the shots but he compares my two pieces to me upside down !!

Any idea ?

same for my parts, so I broke the link

I don't really understand your question.

Drawcompare is used to compare 2D plans, not volumes (unless it has changed on SW14?).

As for symmetry, why do you break the ties? I do the symmetries from the part, Insertions/Symmetrical part (using the reference planes!), and above all I keep the link! Otherwise it's of no interest. No?

It is a symmetrical part from an old case, and this new part may have to change!

DrawCompare can compare volumes of functions, and also 2Ds indeed (even if the name is misleading!)

Hi @ Lucas

draw compare is here to compare 2 more or less similar drawings with x modif 

(dimension, notation, diameter of holes, number of holes, etc.)

but here you ask to compare 2 symmetrically oposed room planes that have nothing to do with each other besides its symmetry

@+ ;-((

@benoit, I didn't say that it was really intentional to break the link

otherwise me it gives this cf image

capture_compare_cup.png

Yes so it must have evolved, in 2013, I don't feel like I can compare 3D.

For the methodology, a symmetrical part that evolves is not a symmetry, even worse if it is on 2 cases> Redo the part entirely (at a pinch by starting from a resemblance)! Otherwise, you don't have any tree anymore and you tinker!

2 Likes

So it's true I don't have a mistake and these are 2 separate pieces

it's not a symmetrical config

At the time for me, it's "Tools > Compare > Geometry"

I thought it was "Tools > Compare > DrawCompare > Geometry" 

So we're not talking about DrawCompare here, but about the geometry comparison tool!

1 Like

See this tutorial

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/3d/design-checker-et-draw-compare

1. draw compare is for plan bets
  2. design-checker for parts

@+ ;-((

1 Like

No, I'm not comparing two completely different pieces, they're exactly the same!

One from the symmetric part tool, and one where I modified the dimensions one by one of each function (as I indicated in the question)!

So I'm going to use the one I modified by hand (because it's much more practical for drawing).

But since I have 2 versions of the symmetrical piece, I wanted to understand the volumes!

Yes I used geometry, sorry for forgetting it

I think that Tools/Compare/Geometry is not suitable as it is.

It's good for comparing volumes with the same orientation (origin in the same place in particular).

If you want to use it, you'll have to do a manipulation:

_Pièce 1 (original volume)

_J get Piece 2 from it by symmetry that I modify (symmetry based on the reference planes , it will be simpler for the rest).

_Une finished piece 2 I make a symmetry of it: Piece 2-SYM using the same plane of symmetry !

_Comparaison of Piece 1 and Piece 2-SYM!

Edit: Piece 2-SYM is a "garbage" part that is not intended to be kept.

2 Likes

In fact I just saw that my views are identical (right side etc), but the orientation of the coordinate system is not the same!

Is it possible to modify it? A priori, no, you have to create two identical coordinate systems for each room and there it works!

Thank you all!

How did you create your contact information?

because my 2 rooms are on the same plane in symmetry but if one day I have a problem I'm interested to know

I don't see how origins are a problem

1. if 2 pieces (design checker) substantially similar it designates the differences from one to the other
  2. or 2 plans (drawcompare)

if the reference numbers are not taken from the origins 

See the tutorial

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/3d/design-checker-et-draw-compare

@+ ;-((

1 Like

I think that's more the problem the ref of the sides compared to the origin.

@gt22

Test a part and its symmetry by the face plane for example (assuming that the part is made according to the rules of the art)

We can see the differences,

Now your symmetry, you do it on a sideways plane (like 30°). And you compare the 2 volumes. There you see a big difference! Because the symmetry is no longer oriented in the same way with respect to the axes!

Duplicate, if there is one who wants to put this answer in "Report abuse"

@ Benoit I regret for me a symmetry of a part is a symmetry of a part

I say a symmetry of the part 

I'm not talking about plane symmetry

a symmetry of a part which, due to its origin and axis of symmetry and outside the part, the part symmetrical at the opening via the origin will certainly not have the same place on the view but will still be symmetrically identical

@+ ;-((