Solidworks: "Error starting a server application"

Hi all

When I wanted to insert a family of parts I got this message "Error starting a server application".

Do you know where this can come from?

erreur-solid.jpg

Hello

Please check if you have installed the Microsoft KB3072630 from Windows Update, like this:

1. To open Windows Update, click the StartImage du bouton Démarrer button . In the search box, type Update, and then, in the list of results, click Windows Update.

2. In the left pane, click View update history.

If so, you should uninstall it by following this tutorial:

http://www.mycadblog.fr/problemes-solidworks-rencontres-apres-la-mise-a-jour-de-microsoft/

If it doesn't work, you can reset the SolidWorks settings (which you can restore later) to determine if it comes from the workstation configuration:

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/3d/reinitialiser-les-parametres-solidworks

Procedure to be applied:

"Typically OLE problems appear in SolidWorks when working with Microsoft Excel, the principles below can be applied to other OLE server objects.

Excel Based BOMs work through the OLE server process built into the Windows Operating system.

As a starting point, it is often useful to diagnose if this problem can be reproduced independently of SolidWorks.

1) Create a Wordpad (Start > Programs > Accessories; not Microsoft Word) document and embed an Excel spreadsheet as an OLE
2) Open Wordpad, double-click on the Excel spreadsheet to open Excel and click away to close Excel
3) Open a new document in Word pad
4) Open the test Wordpad document and repeat from step 2.

Wordpad uses the same OLE client process as used by SolidWorks. You need to open the new document to force Wordpad to close the Excel running process, which SolidWorks does when not editing an OLE object, the extra memory needed to hold the OLE object open is more likely to affect a SolidWorks user than a user of Wordpad.

What to look for.

Using "Task Manager" look at the running processes. When editing, the Excel object "Excel" will be a running process, but not listed in the running tasks. When not needed the process should finish (Wordpad opens the new document, click away in SolidWorks). If Excel remains as a running process, then it is not closing properly. Typically the second time you access the OLE server you will raise "Failed to launch server application"

A second test is to open Excel and then try the test workflow.

Diagnosis
If a failed to launch server application error is returned the first time, the file is accessed, try opening Excel, then try opening the OLE. If this is the case, the registration of the OLE server is not correct, and Microsoft Office should be reinstalled. If a reboot is triggered, honor the reboot and make sure that the user performing the installation logs onto the machine again with the media used to install Microsoft Office is available in the drive.

If a "Failed to launch server application" warning occurs the second time a file is accessed, the problem is typically caused by an Excel process that remains running. In this case, Excel is not shutting down. Turn off any Excel add-ins and disable any files generated in the XLStart folder (for Excel 2003, go to Tools -> Options -> General -> At startup, open all files in; for Excel 2007, go to Office Button -> Excel Options -> Trust Center -> Trust Center Settings -> Trusted Locations).

Note: files can re-generate in the XLStart directory and the source program might need to be uninstalled."

For me it worked.

Hello 

I get the same error message when opening a plan containing an excel spreadsheet. Out of the five stations in the office, only mine does that.

When opening the document the spreadsheet does not appear, by clicking on it I see the outline, by double clicking I get the error message. 

I tried the proposed solutions but nothing helped. 

Are there other solutions? 

Thanks in advance 

1 Like

Hello, so that people can see your question, I advise you to open another question on the forum, independent of this one. Also take the opportunity to specify the year of Solidworks as well as its Sp. Thank you

Kind regards. 

capture.jpg
1 Like