SolidWorks and VMware Fusion

Hello

We have a customer with a Macbook Pro (15.6''/Core i7/16GB/Iris Pro 1.5GB/1TB SSD) who needs SolidWorks. We have seen that SolidWorks is a VMware partner, a software solution that we are used to using. Since SolidWorks needs Windows, we could offer VMware Fusion 8 accompanied by Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Our question is, is this a good solution ? Will SolidWorks work properly with this configuration ? According to the link below, it will, but I'd like confirmation. Have any of you tried this solution yet?

http://www.solidworks.fr/sw/products/details.htm?productID=3992

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind regards.

1 Like

Hello

Given the release date of the videos below, it has been working for a few years, so there is no reason why it should not be the case anymore:

https://www.google.fr/#q=solidworks+mac+vmware&tbm=vid

Maybe ask the authors of the videos how they feel?

1 Like

So being a Macbook pro user

No, no software of this type that creates more problems than anything else.

So I used Bootcamp to create a Windows partition and installed it on the dedicated partition.

In addition, some functionality is increased at the level of the swapping under El captain (last Apple OS)

Dela SolidWorks will run with all the features for him.

The problem is not the processor (multicor and only one needed for solidworks) but the graphics card which will overheat because of a double management defect in OSX and WMware.

Parallele desktop would be more efficient on this type of problem

After of course the type of Macbook comes into play 

3 Likes

I forgot on mac there is an edrawing version so for the simple consultation it is enough

1 Like

Yes, you should favor BootCamp.

After that, we need to tell us a little more about the desired use: file size, most frequently used functions, occasional use or not...

Indeed I also thought about Bootcamp. It has the advantage of being less heavy, but he won't be able to enjoy his Mac applications at the same time...

I don't know exactly what he's going to use SolidWorks for, but I do know that it will be over intensive periods of 2 to 3 weeks, and then he won't use it for a month. In fact it will be regular, but only over certain periods.

I'm not closed to using Parallel Desktop, it's just that we're more used to VMware.

Well I would say that he installs Quick Boot on his Mac, to switch quickly to Windows, that his emails he consults them in webmail, and then anyway he will have to install Office and Adobe Reader to work.

The huge advantage of the mac is for the mail, the internet, the network connection and especially for the graphics and sound.

After that, it's not going to be better on Mac than on PC. Because by using bootcamp it transforms your mac into a PC.