Solidworks slow

Hello

I'm resuming my studies and I'm using solidworks 2018 but I don't know which version.

The thing is that I find it very slow, whereas at the IUT it is very fast.

My computer is a good quality pC that should have no trouble running it:
-Windows 10 pro
-Ryzen 7 2700x
-500g SSD
-Geforce RTX 2060
-16G RAM

I removed all the add-ons (cam, PDM, composer, etc...), I put the factory configuration back, I turned off all the software that could run in parallel in order to have the bare necessities but despite everything, solidworks ram not bad.

I've hung out a lot on the forums but I don't see where it can come from.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Hello

I'm not a pro, but here's this link for more information:

https://www.solidworks.fr/sw/support/SystemRequirements.html

@+.

Thank you, I had already seen this page.
I have a configuration that is clearly above.

I really don't get it.

Hello

Is it slow all the time or only when loading and/or saving?

Kind regards

All the time:

As soon as I put a dimension, or I make a sketch. The worst thing is in the drawings. It's also slow when I'm recording. 
Sometimes if I was and I restart the PC, it's less slow but it ends up coming back.

Thank you:)

When you say that Solidworks is very fast at the IUT, is it on the same PC or on a PC at the IUT?

If 2 different PCs, look on this side if something could correspond to your problem, especially the box "Minimize or close graphics windows" where it talks about a game graphics card ...

If on the same PC, it may be more the "Place the log file on your local hard drive" box that you should look at...

And if it's not as slow after a PC restart, you may have to go through a cleaning of the Windows temporary folders.

Kind regards

1 Like

Hello

It's 2 different PCs but with the confinement I can't check what differs between them. 

I'm going to look at temporary files.

Thank you;)

Hello

Slowness may be perceived if your pc is more than 3-4 years old:

- control the temperature of your processor, if it is abnormal change the thermal paste.

For having struggled for a year to find out why my pc was lagging (for video games among other things :p ), I had indeed my i7 temperature at 90-100° where it should have been at 50° after changing the cooling system.

An avenue to study

Good luck

1 Like

What I see that can be a problem is, as usual, the graphics card. A Geforce RTX 2060 may be a good card for gaming, but it's not made for CAD, so you have to use the Intel chipset built into the motherboard (you have to juggle with NVidia's config panel to tell it to use one card or the other depending on the software).

Look at the automatic save options, if it's too frequent (15-30min is already not bad), the machine pauses for the time it takes.

2 Likes

Hello @FUZ3D    ;-)

Between us I don't see how solidWorks could heat up a processor since in 90° of the time the CPU is only used at 5 to 10%.

Only the simulation or the rendering a little heavy (and the GPU for rendering) excites the bytes a little.

You would have to look at the actual CPU activity, as well as the active programs. Have you used a utility like Speccy that will give you the CPU temperature.

On the other hand, a problem to put a simple rating leaves me stunned.

All these Gamer-style PCs (for a bit of DIY or overclocked) are frequently mentioned here and it seems that they are a recurring source of PB.

Kind regards

1 Like

Hello

I'm also leaning towards the graphics card.

There are still more and more "gamer" oriented PCs than "worker" oriented PCs!!

Kind regards

2 Likes

I'm rather disgusted because I built a CAD-oriented PC with a gaming possibility, and I was advised to build it.

Thank you for your help in this case;)

I checked on the internet but the RTX series is well intended for gaming but also for graphic design:
Link

I contacted a friend who has a GTX 1060 normally reserved for gaming and who doesn't have a lag problem.

The slowness is mostly during the MEP anyway.

Hello helmdal,

look at the power management; Slow recording/opening may be caused by a standby SSD/HDD. It may take a few seconds for it to wake up.

Cdt

Hello

The Geforce RTX 2060  graphics card is not certified by Solidworks.

Solidworks recommends  at least RTX 3000 series graphics  card.

For drawings that lag , in the solidworks options remember to uncheck ''show container while moving''

yannick

Hello Yannick,

As far as I know, the RTX 3000 series won't be released for several months. How can the recommended minimum be a card that is not yet sold?

For my part, Solidworks 2020 with a GTX 1080, all display/quality options to the maximum, does not suffer from any graphical slowdown.

It lacks a bit of responsiveness for opening/editing functions or even to open the SW preferences window, maybe because of my i7 2600k a bit aging or DDR3, but no problems related to the display observed so far.

@helmdal,

If they are not already installed, try to see if NVidia's Studio drivers (rather than GameReady drivers) do not improve your performance.

After that, it is not excluded that certain processes and other services pollute your machine.

Hello

"How can the recommended minimum be a card that is not yet sold?" : Do not confuse cards from the Geforce family with those from the Quadro family...

Kind regards

I expressed myself badly, in the RTX range, solidworks certifies the RTX 3000 range , RTX4000, RTX 5000

CDLT

Yes, Solidworks certifies RTX3000, RTX4000 and RTX5000 boards but from the Quadro range but not Geforce as is the case in this discussion ...

Kind regards