Solidworks simulation 2017 - how to assign external forces on a defined surface?

As a beginner on the simulation module, I want to simulate a bending of beams. It is a ceiling reinforcement for a modular cabin. This beam rests on the walls of the cabin, takes up the weight of the ceiling at several points and must also be able to withstand a one-time force of 100 kg.

After modeling the beam and entering the imposed displacements, I used dividing lines to delineate the surfaces on which I want to apply the forces. I have already used this method on older versions of solidworks. The problem is that I can't apply external loads on these surfaces. There are only 3 choices: points, intersection or beam.

Can you help me? Thank you

calcul_rdm.sldprt

Maybe by creating a surface with your dividing lines you can select it to apply the load to.

Your mesh uses beam elements. So you can't select a surface because this notion doesn't exist in beam theory.

You can optionally right-click on your body and click on "treat as volume". but you lose the "beam" simplification.

2 Likes

Hello

It is I would say a classic mistake to use the beam mode which is only suitable in certain cases (no machining on the edges, particular junction).

A simple rule as long as your beams are no longer than 250 mm doesn't bother you....... not with the beam mode but uses the volumetric.

The beam simplification indicated by @icome (whom I welcome) is only intended to simplify the mesh and the complexity of the calculation because the "beam" formulas have nothing to do with the volume formula (hence the remark, as soon as you have any machining or connections, you are no longer in the beam calculation mode in the strict sense.) See the formulas for the two methods of calculation.

After: in volume, with the separation line function, you can easily draw the area where your supports and forces will be applied without it causing a stir in the simulation.

Kind regards

1 Like

See this link among others

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vxczDuuejso