Solidworks SP 2017 / 4.1

Hello

I would just like to know if anyone is using the 2017 SP 4.1 version of SW and if there are no particular problems with this version.

Currently I'm on the 2016 SP 5 version, I have no problems with it but I think I'll soon evolve on the 2017.

Thank you in advance.

Alex

Hello

I'm working on it and I don't have any major problems. A few crashes but that's present on all versions.

3 Likes

Hello

So I ask ludo.mai, what are the new features?

Dimitri

4 Likes

Hello Dimitri,

Compared to the 2017 SP3, they have fixed quite a few bugs, the full list of which can be found on the support site

Compared to the 2016, no idea. I was on Catia for the last 5 years. But they surely did a lot of good things:)

3 Likes

so how do you feel about Catia?

4 Likes

It's really difficult to compare the two because they don't target the same audience.

It is obvious that Catia V5 offers more possibilities than Solidworks thanks to its very complete basic surface module and to which you can add great functions if you have a budget. After working on Catia for quite a few years, I know that I haven't seen it all yet.

On the other hand, it's a very professional software so the interface is less beautiful and probably less intuitive.

In my opinion, Solidworks was designed for purely mechanical work (volume parts and standard operations). It does the job it was developed for perfectly, for a much lower budget and is easy to learn. 

I've worked longer with Catia so it's the software I have the most ease with and which has the organization I prefer but if you ask the question to someone who has always worked on solidworks, the opinion may be different.

6 Likes

Oh and Catia often crashes too;) 

Everyone knows the "Click ok to terminate"

4 Likes

So on that I can't contradict you! But I had noticed a solution to avoid this problem. One of my colleagues was making his coins by right-clicking on the desktop instead of doing them directly from Catia and we noticed that it brought this error more often.

3 Likes

@Dimitri:

If ever here is the What's new 2017 https://files.solidworks.com/Supportfiles/Whats_new/2017/English/whatsnew.pdf

3 Likes

Thank you dbz I'll look at it when I have nothing to do =)

3 Likes