Server-based SolidWorks for remote work

Hello

We want to use SolidWorks for remote work, one of the solutions considered would be to virtualize SolidWorks on a server.

We want a server that is powerful enough to use SolidWorks in multi-sessions. The latter would be able to do the calculations instead of a workstation. This server would be destined to evolve, for the moment it would have to be sized to accommodate 15 users.

I found that this was possible, but I have no idea what type of server is needed, how many GB of ram is needed, how many graphics cards, ...

I had a few leads: Using NVIDIA GRID and vsphere horizon, using an NVIDIA QUADRO RTX 8000 graphics card (Too powerful ?), it would defraud a server capable of accommodating one or more graphics cards.

Are there people who have already done this ? If so, how did you go about setting up this server? Specific licenses are required, if so, which ones? If multiple graphics cards, how is this managed?

Thank you in advance for your answers

Théo LD.

1 Like

I doubt the proper functioning of a server with x licenses to work together on remote modeling 

In general, the server is used to store common data (library, parts, assembly, drawing, etc.)

which moreover is to take control remotely on a PC dedicated to solidworks via another pc 

We need very good reliability of the networks 

@+

3 Likes

We worked with a remote client. The infrastructure consisted of rack-mounted PCs, with no local display with a management server. So we had one PC per license. Access was via Citrix. Since the only flow conveyed is the display, the speed of the connection is not critical.

Here, the word "server" refers more to a remote machine than a machine dedicated to file distribution.

Given the complexity of the system, it is better to get closer to:
- Your SolidWorks distributor;
- your IT department (internal or service provider).

You advertise 15 users, are they 15 concurrent or potential users?
Are users on-site (i.e. on the internal network) or remote (e.g. working from home or in branches)?

1 Like

Hello, thank you for your answers

@gt22 We already use a file server for the parts library as well as for assemblies, etc. My request is to have the necessary hardware configuration for a server where users can take control remotely outside the company.

@stefbeno That's more or less what we want, but server-wide so that we can host multiple sessions at the same time. If we want this it is because accessing the file from the outside takes a lot of time (because the bandwidth is only 20 MB), especially to load the assemblies. So the remote control solution is the ideal solution, because effectively loading the display and remote control consumes less bandwidth and is therefore accessible to all.

I am from the IT department (I am one of the company's System and Network Administrators). I contacted our distributor SolidWorks but I took the lead by finding out where I could.

If I announce 15 users, it's 15 simultaneous users. For the moment it's really for remote control from the outside.

Théo LD.

Hello
I have big doubts about how such a solution will work. Especially for 15 simultaneous users. Servers are not designed to run applications such as SW.
In addition, I wonder about the effect of having several dozen SW processes while on a workstation having even two causes errors and bugs.

1 Like

@remrem According to what is recommended by SolidWorks (https://www.solidworks.fr/sw/support/SystemRequirements.html) it seems possible on Windows server, you just have to add ram, and as for the processor it's large enough because there are a lot of cores on the server processors. I am not worried about this. The problem would be to have a server that can accept a graphics card for calculations.

Then it is also possible to virtualize SW: https://www.solidworks.fr/sw/support/Support_for_Virtual_Environments.htm

Thank you for your answer despite everything,

Théo LD.

I am also a little skeptical about the proper functioning of such a solution. It would probably be more functional to borrow licenses with the license manager and share the data.

capture1.jpg