Solidworks vs unigraphics-nx

Hello @tous. 

Trying to push my knowledge on SW use, youtube offer me NX solutions, the latter seems interesting and above all powerful,  I would even say that it surpasses the famous SW :).  

The problem is that I hesitate to convert to NX after having used SW for more than a decade, MERCEDES did it in 2015, I guess then it won't be too hard for a private ;). 

So I ask for your opinion and especially your experience those who have used both software, is NX worth it? 

Hello

The logic of choosing software at the level of a company like Mercedes and an individual (what exactly do you mean by this term, by the way) is totally different.
For what service/use, Mercedes uses NX? It is not uncommon for this kind of company to have several software programs coexist according to needs.

A company will use PDM-type modules that you never touch.
In addition, at the level of a company, there is sometimes a history to manage, habits or even a very specific function that will make the difference.

3 Likes

Hello

For my part, I have used Unigraphics (NX) for 10 years in 2 companies (multi-national in medical and mining equipment) and for the past 5 years I have been on Solidworks in a smaller structure.

NX is in my opinion on the same level as CATIA so I would hardly say comparable to SW on the performance of the software.

If your goal is to do "classic" design/modeling, SW is more than enough. On the other hand, NX will have better capabilities, if you want to do advanced surface (Catia is apparently more complete than NX), CAM, simulation... etc

In terms of the cost of the software, it seems to me that NX is between SW and CATIA but the range is wide... and I don't know if all the modules are activated or if they are paid like on CATIA.

You have to take into account the possible needs of customers and the compatibility of the files, NX is not as present as SW and CATIA in France.

Also noted that the PLM  associated with NX (Teamcenter) is really complete, but complex to set up and which can be a real gas factory. It is mainly aimed at large groups

As for use, the time to adapt to the software is done quickly, when you have the design logic, you just have to find your way around to find the classic functions and search on the forums (in English) for advanced capabilities.

4 Likes

Hello@tous 

First of all I thank you stefbeno and joris for taking the time to answer me,

Indeed stefbeno I work for a small company specialized in metal framing, does not need the pdm and we do not have to worry about the file history, our projects are mainly manufacturing requests only, as well as Development of some models that we own, once the project is validated, Only a step version of the model is archived with the manufacturing details PDF, DXF and MEP-detached, 

Joris, you are right about plm and this is the most important reason why mercedes chose nx. 

I add to this the sheet metal module which I find more evolved than the solidworks one since not only does the Methodology seem easier to me, but it also allows to make usual Shapes that sw still does not offer a solution (not to my knowledge!).

On my side, the module that interested me the most and fascinated me is the Mechanically welded  but apparently it's not specific to siemens but rather an add-in that also works in sw.

Joris, thank you again for the clarifications, and if I allow myself to benefit even more from your experience, does the mechanical-welded nx offer junctions such as flanges, plate, gusset... Or is it the same as sw? 

Hello

I dive back into distant memories (a lot happens in 5 years, especially when you change field of activity).

In 2017 we used NX 8.5, 2012 version (the big groups take their time for version changes), we used a classic assembly method for our welded elements, and not a special module for the type of welded mechanic.

I mainly worked on surface parts such as hip prostheses, and on special machines where we didn't use a design library, we started from the existing design and recoded the modified elements. As for metal construction-type designs, I don't know anything about it, but I found this video.

In any case, I felt less limited by the capabilities of the software than under SW and I did less tinkering / design bypass to achieve the desired result (especially for the surface).

1 Like

@Lynkoa15:

I conclude that you have been using SW (for how long?) and plan (based on a video) to switch to NX.

I would advise you, first, to load a trial version (software publishers often offer a version valid for 30 days) and to test starting with the integrated tutorials.

If you decide to take the plunge, you must then take into account the cost of the apprenticeship (initial training and then the increase in design time at the beginning).
Depending on the size of your design office, you will also need to find a forum that can help you.

You seem to be looking for typical functions to be used in mechanically welded machines. Have you looked at the function library side?

Hello stéphane

Indeed, SW has quite a few tools that give the impression of being able to assist even the most complex design ideas including the steel structure from the point of view where the angle, the h, the flange.... Are just parts, unfortunately the fact of drawing everything and  connecting everything manually didn't suit me anymore. Looking at what the other software offers in addition to the correct structuring by welded or bolted shipping element, drawings of automatic definition of each element, insertion of the bolts, practical export formats such as dstv.... , I really want to take the plunge.

Concerning the library functions, they don't suit me, it's rather the library parts that can be useful to me provided that the geometry automatically adapts to the profiles without going through the configurations (very difficult to predict, given the types and large number of profiles without counting the arrangement of the bolts) which is not possible to my knowledge, there are also MEPs that the library manager does not  support.

If you know any techniques to get around the problem, I'm interested :) 

1 Like

Don't forget also the integration of new people in the design office, Solidworks is often very well known and therefore it is easy to recruit for this software.

On the other hand, SW is far from being the most suitable for metal framing (not sure that NX is really better on this point). I know by name a Teckla software that is really dedicated to this branch and that was praised to us at the time of my distant studies in boilermaking/metal framing.

2 Likes