SolidWorks Wpdm vs. EPDM – Future of the product? - Performance and simplicity

Hi all.

For a limited number of SW licenses. The PDM workgroup solution is attractive compared to an expensive EPDM with SQL server.

The basic functionalities of a PDM are present.

I was always told that Wpdm was at the end of its life.  I still see it in the Premium offer. SW still seems to want to keep the 2 products. Resellers are always pushing to take EPDM (generating a turnover > to that of the sale of SW 3D).

I would like to hear from industrial users of Wpdm
How do you see the future of the product?, 

Product performance for file search (- more powerful than the old windows desktop search on XP)

Ease of use, speed of execution of tasks, management of revisions on large asses, management of external references

Pb disk size, need an outer disk

Pbs  /single-station installation

Pb of interfaces with ERP, .....

Thank you very much.

Kind regards

1 Like

Hello

I don't have a PDM.

Sorry.

Hello

We don't have WorkgroupPDM but do have EPDM.

EPDM goes further and has more features than its "ancestor" WorkGroup.

- Task automation (automatic conversion)

- Multi-site replication

- Extremely short search time (since the EPDM attacks the database)

- Connection of EPDM to ERP (via EPDMGateway)

If you need more information, don't hesitate.

1 Like

I don't think that PDMWords Workgroup is "at the end of its life", well it all depends on how you interpret it, that in the future there is no more development of new functionality yes, but that the product would disappear completely seems unlikely to me.

After these two PLM softwares although with quite similar names are very different, I would say that if you have a small be of 4 or 5 people the workgroup is likely to be more than enough, if you want to push the document management far enough or if you have a large EPDM be will be more suitable.

2 Likes

Hi all

I take advantage of this discussion to ask how easy it is to set up Workgroup PDM when you have two SolidWorks licenses.

According to information gathered at the Kickoff: "PDM Workgroup is renewed in 2014 and certainly in 2015"

Kind regards.

Hi all

I had prepared my answer this weekend, but I was missing some information that I checked this morning.

In our company we use Workgroup PDM. But I already have a few questions:

1) So the first question I'll have JH is how many people make up your design office with "limited number of SW licenses"?

Because this is where the difference will be made when choosing between WorkGroup and Enterprise! Especially in terms of cost!

2) What are the types of licenses? Standard, Pro, or premium? Because if you only have standards, you will have to update all the workstations to the professional version, which implies an additional cost!

3) Does your company only work on one site?

4) How do you currently manage SolidWorks files? Simply by a Windows tree?

5) How does the SolidWorks file coding work?

6) Is there validation in place in the process of creating the parts?

7) How do you transfer the plans to other departments?

Concerning WorkGroup, I also think that the product will be renewed for a long time, but without any improvements... I don't think SolidWorks will let us down and force us to switch to Enterprise if the current solution is functional, and they can keep it alive with little (or very little) investment.

About our use, we got used to WorkGroup and its constraints. We have a performance issue, but it's probably version-related (SW 2011), and we'll be moving to SolidWorks 2014 soon, I can tell you if the problem persists.

Regarding your other questions:

For your information, our trunk is 116 GB and contains nearly 27,000 SolidWorks files.

Product performance for file search (- more powerful than the old windows desktop search on XP)

For the file search, I think it's much longer than with a SQL database, but if you do a search on a filename (which contains our code), it's not that long (between 10 and 20 seconds I'd say). On the other hand, on custom properties of the file, it takes much longer (it's normal somewhere, but Enterprise will have a clear advantage on this point)!

Ease of use, speed of execution of tasks, management of revisions on large asses, management of external references

The use is simple once you get the basics, but I think the problem is similar on Enterprise. No problem for the revision management on large assemblies (if I understood the question correctly), and with us no external reference except for the library which is not in the safe, but it works well like that.

Pb disk size, need an outer disk

For the size, the PDM is getting bigger, but fortunately! In 4 years, I would say that it has taken 50 GB, which is not a lot. At home, it is installed on the server (9 people in the BE and 90 people in total in the box), so I don't really understand the question of the external drive.

Pbs  /single-station installation

The server installation is simple, it is the project management, revision and archiving procedures that require support (it is better to pay for a few days of support than to start on a bad basis, for which you will pay the consequences for the whole life of the PDM...). There is no client installation per se, as it is included in SolidWorks Pro.

Pb of interfaces with ERP, .....

The interface with the ERP is non-existent in itself! I got around the problem with some macros (PDF location & BOM creation), which come to deposit csv files where the ERP comes to scrutinize if a file has been deposited, and implements it in the ERP database. It's a bit laborious to set up, but that's how it works. These are things that will require much less investment to make on Enterprise.

So in conclusion, you have the choice between 2 products, a "low cost" that does the job with its constraints, and the high-end, which will do everything much better (and probably also things you don't need).

And I will add that we have been looking for quite a long time for a migration to Enterprise, but the additional cost added to the migration (from WorkGroup to Enterprise) which is going to be complicated, makes us think.

4 Likes

Hello and thank you all

Lucas, Thank you for the great precision of your answers.

- We have 5 positions.......... Vision 5 max, I think.

- 1 Premium and 5 stds.

- For the moment, tree structure on windows. X files.

- Pending codification of the choice of an ERP (Sylob business, Proconcept or equivalent product for business in industry..... high costs).

- No document validation to date. Wish to manage revisions.

- Communication with various services via PDF or paper.

It's a shame that Windows 7 doesn't include all the features of deskstop search. Although this was often slow, it could index all the text in SW attributes and annotations on the plans.

Good night.

Kind regards.

Julian

1 Like

I don't understand the remark "It's a shame that Windows 7 doesn't have all the features of deskstop search"
Windows desktop search which appeared under windows XP and which evolved into Windows Search still under XP was renewed under vista, seven and 8... He just benefited from a deeper integration... and new functionality. I don't see the features that would have disappeared

It can be found everywhere in the windows interface (in the "Start" menu, in the explorer window, using the F3 or Windows+f key...)

On the other hand, as under XP, it needs to index the files, at the server or client workstations. So if you have a server that is too old, it is possible that client/server indexing does not work properly, but you can enable identification directly in the disk properties

To better understand how windows search works (especially in terms of filters) I recommend the site http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/36599-search-windows-7-a.html

1 Like

Indeed, for 5 positions, it is a difficult choice!

So, do you already know the price for the 2 PDMs?

Including the cost of purchasing a PRO license and the difference in annual maintenance?

What about the cost of Enterprise?

With us, as we have a codification, all research is based on it!

So no need to search on SolidWorks properties (for what purpose exactly? I'm curious!).

In addition, I set up a utility some time ago that allows you to search on the network, in record time! Less than a second for the results of a search on the entire network (only the file name), i.e. nearly 900 GB! I'm going to make a tutorial that I'll post here for installation.

And for the creation of PDFs how do you do it? By hand, save as? Or do you have a macro?

1 Like

Good evening to the forum.

In order.

Thank you Fab for your answer on the indexation on W7. I will look carefully at the indications on the link.

However, it seems to me that the indexing tool is less advanced. With the old tool, we could search for files from the indications in the attributes and any annotations on the plans or 3D files. And not just the file name. I'm looking at your document asap.

Thanks also to Lucas.

I haven't dealt with the cost pb yet. It seems that it costs €15,000 to €30,000 for an environment of 5 to 10 workstations on EPDM.

I thought that with a PC in premium (Workgroup pdm) + 4 others with SW std it could "work".

A point that I have to review too.

Indexing by Windows7 (if previous pt OK) would meet our main need, that of search.

Good night.

Thank you.

Julian

1 Like

Good evening everyone,

JH, there are a few questions I asked that you didn't answer!

And have you tried SolidWorks Explorer? I don't know if it's standard or pro!

http://help.solidworks.com/2013/French/PDMWorks/c_SW_Explorer_Overview_WPDM.htm

Because with this utility, you can search in the trunk on properties, but a priori it also works without the safe, but I don't know its limits.

Hi all.

Thank you Lucas for your info.

No consultations on pro and 2nd premium version. 

Codification not ratified because the ERP project is dragging on in lg + PLM EPDM under consideration.

For a busy environment such as a special machine,  with x hundred sheet metal parts (multi and single-body), the respect of a precise file coding syntax is heavy to live with. We have made high-performance smarproperties masks so that we can easily search for components by keywords (no use of SW labeling). We have case files for "judged " project-specific exhibits  . As far as possible, we start from design models, to be copied on the spot. However, starting from a " special " piece of a case is often interesting.  On XP with desktop search it was not too bad. We found our files / attributes, morpho-dimensional criteria, any indication on a plan,.....

Unless I'm mistaken,  this is no longer the case on the search tool integrated into W7, which is less powerful.

SW Explorer seems to find only SW files with properties filled in SW (label). If SW Explorer had more features .............SW would sell – EPDM !

Thank you.

Have a nice day.

Julian

Hello JH,

I understand the problem better now.

In fact, it is a problem that appeared with the 64Bits.

It seems to me that it works in 32Bits.

Indexing works, but you have to modify the options for solidworks files to "Index only properties".

Then the search will work, but only on the windows properties of the file, i.e. the properties present in the "Details" tab of the file properties.

The SolidWorks properties, "Customize" tab (i.e. Smartproperties properties) are not indexed.

As I said at the beginning, it seems to me that it works in 32Bits, the problem also existed in XP64Bits.

Now I don't know if it's a SolidWorks or Windows problem...

1 Like