Voronoi Structure as a Function of Forces (Fusion 360)

Hello 

I am currently working on a 3D modeling project where I have to make a hollow structure in a Voronoi diagram. I have to use the Fusion 360 software (which I don't know much about). 

This structure must be able to withstand a certain number of forces. I was wondering if it was possible, on Fusion 360, to automatically create a Voronoi surface according to given forces?

adri.56

Hello Adri

I believe that you want to pursue several objectives at the same time, which is usually hazardous.

To answer your question, you have to make separate packages.

1°) Starting from fusion it is possible to draw the diagram, because each tesserae is a sketch with "N" sided. But the problem comes mainly from the difficulty of drawing each tesserae. It has not escaped your notice that they do not all have the same number on the side.
Also, unlike a hexagon, the sides are not the same length.

2°) how to draw a tesserae in automatic. This can only be done from equations and VBA or the FUSION macro system. This requires a good command of both one of the five algorithms and the language itself

3°) how to draw in automatic the tesserae adjacent to the first one, then defined as being the first seed. Because it is necessary to combine both the result of the algo and the actualization of each edge of the "N" edges of a tesserae.

4°) if this is your project then Fusion 360 is certainly not the right tool because it is better to use Grashopper which is fully parametric to manipulate the tesserae dynamically

Interim conclusion I don't think you can do the second part of your question, which is [automatically make a surface in Voronoi according to given forces]

On the other hand, the first part of the question is achievable under conditions. Because you say [to make a hollow structure in a Voronoi diagram. ]

From a strictly CAD point of view, it is possible to make a hollow structure (we don't know if it's a concave structure or a hollow structure like a Klein bottle (or other potato hollow structure). Once the structure has been created, it is possible to project the Voronoi tesserae to the surface. But it will be very difficult because your algo must be able to give you the number of edges of each tesserae and for a given tesserae the length of each edge.

Once the feat of the hollow shape and the Voronoid tesselation of the surface has been achieved, you must then move on to the finite element simulation and apply the forces to the right places according to what you decide.

IS IT REALLY FEASIBLE:

I think NO , but if you specify your intention, which remains a bit ethereal, then the NO could very hypothetically turn into a "possibly maybe"".

I hope to have helped you see a little more clearly. I can answer other questions if you feel the need.

Kind regards

2 Likes

Hello ZozoMP, 

First of all, sorry for the late reply, the last few weeks have been heavy in terms of the amount of work and I haven't had time to look back on this project.

Then, I read your answer several times but to be honest I didn't understand "much"; I'm learning how to generate Voronoi on Fusion 360 but with the help of a generator (Voronoi sketch generator) so much simpler, and despite research on the notions of "taisselles" and other vocabulary that you have discussed, I must admit that I don't understand very well the "solution" you propose to me.

To specify my project a little more, it is a question of making the internal structure of a paddle by replacing a polystyrene block (currently used) with a voronoi-shaped structure whose "edges" are hollow. 

In my situation, the most important thing is to optimize the voronoi structure according to pre-determined forces, which does not seem to be possible according to you from Fusion 360.I thought about a solution that could be "possible" using a software that I master better (SolidWorks):

1- I study the constraints according to my strengths on SolidWorks

2- I make a Voronoi structure "by groping" on Fusion according to the determined constraints

3- I switch the file back to SolidWorks and I do a stress study on my Voronoi structure to see if it holds. If it holds, then I reduce the mesh until I get the structure with as few meshes as possible and still resisting my forces. If it doesn't hold, I increase the mesh until the structure holds.

I think that in this way, I will be able to achieve the structure I am looking for.

Adri.56

Good evening

How can we help you because I have the impression that your approach suits you.

Could  you post your piece because I have the impression (but I could be wrong) that what you call Voronoi would be rather  from a visual point of view and from the physical model a Lattice structure but whose size of each mesh is of the Voronoi type.

A hollow edge does not exist , but it can be said that there is no veil between the edges delimiting each individual cell (the mesh in the etymological sense of the term). So you have a structure with a Voronoi-type mesh, which gives a lattice structure of a particular type because it meets the Voronoian qualities, if we can say that.

Fusion 360 must have the compatible simulation module which would be easier than going back and forth in SW.

If you want to do a winning optimization, it would be easier to do a topological optimization from your first structure generated from SketchGenerator (since what you are looking for is the major weight gain) of the model made under "fusion".

You should especially see the Voronoi parameters and more precisely the parameters you use which must not be correct in weight since you are looking to lighten.

There's a hiatus somewhere but I have a hard time seeing where I think it comes from the parameters you put to have a voronoi-like shape or you have a real optimization from rigorous parameters given to sketch generator.

You will surely achieve your goals with your way of proceeding.

Kind regards

Friendly note : if I had to replace a polystyrene foam structure I would rather choose an auxetic structure (auxetic 3d honeycomb or auxetic behavior) which has by definition a negative fish ratio. The theory of isotropic materials allows a Poisson ratio of between −1 and 0.5 for at least three categories currently. This is very relevant when it comes to absorbing shocks or certain types of predictable deformations.