Styling dimensions in a *.drwdot file

Hi all!!!

How can we load dimension styles in a *.drwdot file and especially how can we do that when we do:

file -> new -> new SOLIDWORKS  drawing: Have dimension styles downloaded automatically.

Thank you for your answers.

Have a nice day.

Hello

The drwdot files are just normal drawings saved in this format to allow them to be automatically reused by Solidworks.

So you can actually load a dimension style of a specific file, just go to: Option / Document Properties / Wrapping Standard

and you load from an external file.

To have the same standard on all drawings, all you have to do is save this plan in drwdot at a very specific place. After in Option / System Option / File Location

You have to add the drwdot folder in the file location of the "Document templates"

I hope I have answered your question.

Kind regards

Thank you for your answer Mandragore.

I would like to automatically load "pin position" when I make a new drawing. See attached image.

And I looked with your method but I can't do it.

capture01.png

I just tried it and it works.

Just take your drwdot, take the dimensioning tool, add the 'pin position' style and save the plan.

The new style will be there on all the planes of this drwdot but you have to remember to select it when quoting otherwise the style remains basic. After with my method you can already well customize each menu.

I admit that I understand the question a little better with the image.

Kind regards

I just did your manipulation.

I still have the same problem, I load my "pin position" style in my drwdot file, I save it. I make a new drawing file....... but no "pin-position" style in my drawing......... sniffff.

I must not be doing the right manipulation.

And after all your explanation:

So you can actually load a dimension style of a specific file, just go to: Option / Document Properties / Wrapping Standard

and you load from an external file.

To have the same standard on all drawings, all you have to do is save this plan in drwdot at a very specific place. After in Option / System Option / File Location

You have to add the drwdot folder in the file location of the "Document templates"

I didn't understand how you could load a dimension style into the trim standard. My dimension style is an sldslt file and the dimension style in the wrapping standard is an sldstd file. ?????

For the "Templates" files, I started to make tutorials on Lynkoa:

https://www.lynkoa.com/contenu/création-dun-modèle-de-mep-1

https://www.lynkoa.com/contenu/modifier-une-propriété-dun-template

https://www.lynkoa.com/contenu/modifier-les-options-dun-template

for the first 3

But to answer your question, it's a rib style that you should use directly after saving it:

"Pin Position" is a saved dimension style.

Once saved, we go to look for it with the last icon (I have a folder containing my different dimension styles).

But it cannot be assigned directly in the Template; there is nothing in the "Options" for that.

Sorry.

For the time being, I just redid the test you put me in doubt.  The style I had created in my MeP and then saved in drwdot. I close it.

I create a new plan from this drwdot and I have my "testtt" in the style

Without having to reload or recreate it. On the other hand you have to make the effort to select it for it to take effect, the style does not automatically set to "Pin position"

When you did your test you re-recorded the plan in drwdot and not in slddrw? This is a mistake that happens often.

Mandrake

I recorded in drwdot and not slddrw.

On the other hand I'm in SDW2018 SP5..... Maybe it comes from the version?

It's a possibility, I'm on Solidworks 2017 SP5.

To resume, create a plan, manage all the dimensions and property you want on all the plans.

Take the dimensioning tools and any other tools where you want specific styles to preload. Load the styles and save the document in drwdot.

It worked after I had already tried to have specific bubble tools and we had a hard time getting to our end.

Kind regards

@mandragore,

indeed, all styles are encapsulated if they are registered with the "drwdot" template; To do this, just click on "Dimension", load the custom styles and save the Template file.

When opening a drawing from this Template, by default we have the style <NO>, but the styles loaded in the Template are in the drop-down list.

1 Like

Mandrake

When you create your drwdot, are all the dimensions and dimension styles displayed in the drawing?

@Aliende,

Well, it doesn't work!!!! ......... snifff

I do everything as you say but nothing....

I can't find my styles in the drop-down menu under < NONE>

Maybe I'm forgetting something, you can give me the procedure to follow as you did.

THANK YOU.

I do not understand the question.

When you create your drwdot you can take the smart dimension tool and add styles in the drop-down menu to find them on another plane.

My drwdot does not have any particular annotation or dimension.

@OlivierH,

As @mandragore says, you have to open the Drawing Template (the "drwdot" extension)

And save this Template.

You can have several Templates and therefore check that it's the right one that you modify and open (see my tutorials in case you don't really understand what I'm saying)

Cheer up!

Let's go back, you open a drawing. You take the smart dimensioning tool and you load one or more styles for your template (.drwdot file)

Once the different styles are loaded into the 'smart dimensioning' tool, you can do the same thing for other functions.

Then you save the plan file in the same place as the other templates, drwdot file. and registers well in .drwdot

Kind regards

1 Like

IT'S OKAY, IT WORKS!!!!

I restarted SDW and my PC and now everything works!!

Thank you Mandragore and Aliende!!!