Deletion/Cleanup of Documents in a Folder and Subfolder

Hello.

When I do design, I usually create from an existing file via "composition to go" in a separate folder. Then I add new parts, replace, delete, create new ones... In short, it's quickly a mess in my file with parts that take up unnecessary space on the server.

So my question is: is there a hidden function in solidworks to clean up a folder. 

For example, I point to a folder and ask it to delete all the parts/assembly that are not in my assembly on the screen in the folder and subfolder.

Important detail, I don't have access to the CadTool;)

Thanks in advance friends

Indeed, it's a shame because in myCADtools, this tool is available (it's called CleanProject)

Otherwise, in your case, why not redo a composition to take away, when your project is finished, in another folder and then delete the original folder

Mick

6 Likes

Hello

Same thing, I've been looking for this position for a while.

I get around the problem by opening the general assembly, then going to Windows Explorer (it must be set to "show hidden files") and thus appear with a "~$... " the files used. I delete all files that do not have their counterpart in "~$... ".

Also, when opening before assembly, I can't delete the files used by SW.

All that remains is to delete the associated drawings, be careful, there is no security.

For this reason, I actually don't delete the files, but move them to a "trash" folder in the project. This allows you to recover a few pellets....

Good luck

A+

3 Likes

@mcordero: That's what I'm doing today. But it's a bit tedious in the long run with the impression of redoing things already done (+then go find the folder, copy and paste it in the right place, delete the old ones)

@herve.marechal: I found myself deleting things that I didn't want with this method... and while I had the assembly open. He must have made some kind of copy I don't know where, to authorize the deletion but didn't know how to reopen the file the next time.

So I proscribed it to myself

So sorry, but I don't really see any other solution

I think you need to structure the directories of your case differently so that it's not a "mess" (Reminder: SolidWorks hates mess, duplicates, moved files, etc...)

Here's how I do it:

All my take-home compositions (mainly from my standard) go in a "standard 3D XXXX_02_Récup" repertoire. To avoid duplicates, all files in this directory have been renamed with the deal number in front of "XXXX_".

All new parts and specific assemblies (and only this one) of my case go in the "XXXX_01_Ensemble 3D" directory . All files have case-specific coding.

If I have "fast" design to do (for testing), I have a "3D XXXX_03_PROTO" directory. All files (parts or assemblies) are coded with the word PROTO in them.

Then I have directories for documents other than SolidWorks.

All business directories have the same directory names (I simply add the business number "XXXX_" in front of it.

Part "01","02","03",..... in the directory name allows me to classify my directories in the way I want, i.e. the directories of the 3D at the beginning.

capture.jpg
1 Like

@coin37coin, it's true that CleanPRoject does the job well....

Do you need to invest in the mycadTools suite!!!

4 Likes

@Flegendre: It's not that I'm against investing in mycadtool (I'm even seriously eyeing it!) But unfortunately I am not the one holding the purse strings. And the only answer I have right now is "it's useless"... That necessarily, when you don't work in it. Anyway, that's another debate.

Otherwise, I already rank quite a lot. Just like you, I have a folder of standard parts that I find from one assembly to another and that remain imuable.

I then have a file per drawing (each part that is in the drawing goes into this same file)

The main problem is that my assembly A looks very similar to my assembly B. So I make a take-home composition to avoid having to do all the work.

Only there are pieces that have no place there and others that need to be created. As a result, my parts from assembly B that are not in assembly A were still imported.

Coupled with the modifications requested by the customer after the fact... well I have a lot of "waste" to remove in the final files

Hello

For your boss who holds the cords of the b... You just have to give it the time you spend doing your experiments. This time multiplied by the hourly rate, I think he will quickly understand where his money goes! He should soon subscribe to the myCADtools suite. If his answer is always "It's useless" it's because he hasn't understood anything!

At least what I say about it!

Kind regards

7 Likes

Agreeing with JMsavoyard that's how I convinced my former boss to take over mycad by doing a calculation with Projectmanager to copy a project that we would save 15-20 minutes per project, copy xmultiply by 7-8 projects and here is the cushioned blow. Redo a calculation with cleanproject  (basically, it takes less than 2 minutes to clean a project of reasonable size).

And go with all your arguments in front of your boss.

3 Likes

In your argument, also add the fact that from time to time you involuntarily delete some files that you shouldn't have, that you had to redo them, redo the links in SW,...

2 Likes

Vouais... Basically, the solution is to force him to take over.

I feel like I'm going to have a great day friends! Thank you very much ^^ (in any case, you make me laugh a lot in your tone and argument. That's already it:) )

1 Like