Deletion of "Copy of..." When you make it virtual

Hi all
Is it possible not to have the "Copy of" in front of the part name when making it virtual in an assembly?

SW2018SP5

Thank you for your answers.

Hello

Not to my knowledge, the solution is to rename the part in the build tree and remove the "Copy of".

1 Like

Thanks Rim-b; That's what I was afraid of...

anyone else?

No better, you have to rename the part manually, no possibility of automatic naming rules.

In my case I think it's good because we know what the original external part was and that the virtual part has been duplicated from it.

The corresponding help page: http://help.solidworks.com/2019/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/c_VC_Virtual_Components_Overview.htm

2 Likes

Hello

Indeed, it is not possible to change the file name by default at the moment. It is imperative to go through the right click!

http://help.solidworks.com/2019/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/t_VC_Naming_Virtual_Components.htm?id=0b8c0f0b333b4d4a89a2a5211b489510#Pg0

Kind regards

2 Likes

Thank you all for your answers.

I was afraid of it.

It's a shame, because when you make components of a multi-level assembly virtual, with the accumulation of "Copy of...^Copy of...^Copy of..." ", the name becomes too long and it causes some problems in PDM (file name too long...), we are then forced to rename all the parts and assemblies to reduce the number of characters and it's very tedious!

Never mind...

But if you make them virtual, how do you end up saving them in the PDM?

I actually save the assembly in which they are virtual, and a priori, SW builds this assembly as a directory with subfolders (the assemblies) and files (the parts) and therefore, when you archive or extract with PDM, since it considers all the characters, when you are at the last level of the structure ("Copy of...^Copy of...^Copy of...^Copy of... "), the number of characters exceeds a threshold (256 I think) we get an error message saying that the filename is too long...

1 Like