SW - Sheet metal part design

Hello 

I wedge on a sheet metal part on SW. 

I have to make a stainless steel tank according to the image. 

The problem, I want the outer edges to remain level, only the bottom of the tank should have a slope of 3% towards the drain. The particularity is that the two folds of the bottom must remain parallel...

I had some design ideas but no adequate results or SW is not...

In short, can you help me please?

000.jpg

Here is a framework if necessary.

2xx-bac.sldprt

Me personally for this type of part 

I'll go through a smoothing 

and welded construction for the bases 

then we cut the modules

@+ ;-)

PS: if your background has the same width 

your 45 degree angle will not be respected 

everywhere since the slope is 3%

:-)

Be careful, 3° is not equal to 3%

1 Like

post the overall sides of your room

we don't all have the same SW version

Yes, not 3% but 3°. After the slope is not the most important data either. What I'm looking for is rather the design methodology to be able to do it with the sheet metal module (either directly with it, or by a volume conversion). I'm really chewing... I even have doubts about the feasibility...

@MEPConcept

If you read the communication thread well, the walkthrough is already posted

@+ ;-)

@gt22

Are you talking about straightening? It seems to me that this cannot be converted into sheet metal and be exploitable for the passage into production.  

of course YES!

I don't see why it won't pass

it's only a volume part to pass through sheet metal

or unfold it

Give your odds overall

@+

1 Like

@GT22

I attach the starting profile of the tank (to be respected because welding to another existing tank)

[edit post]

The 204mm is to be respected all along the slope.

I'm only looking to play with the 45° angles and the 198mm dimension.

000.jpg

Hello

Very interesting your pieces ;-)

[HS ON]

Small friendly remarks : It's already at least two different parts, or even more depending on the folding machine because 3000 x 1005 is starting to do the same for laser cutting.
You will also want to provide a marker for the fold that allows the 3% of slopes because according to the folder, the folder will do schmurts to wedge the two ends (proceed as for a crunch) and you will not be able to guarantee the % of your slope.  Personally I put a micro hole at each end, Either I make a small V-notch of a few mm. The folder aligns his upper V with these artifices and over a length of three meters you guarantee your rating with very high precision. Especially since you will have two very long pieces to connect to each other with an angle of 56° so there too you should provide for bad female notches.
But you must know all this ;-)

[HS /OFF]

Kind regards

3 Likes

Hello MEP concept

I was looking at your frame (2xx-bac. sldprt) and it suggests that the two slopes of 3° meet in the center! or the drawing is not good.

Is that right? because it changes a lot of things differently!

Kind regards

1 Like

@zoz_mp

I totally agree with your remarks.  I'm just trying to understand the technique to do on SW. Then I will insdustrialize the process according to the house standards.

As a result, the part I wanted at the beginning is not technically feasible. I saw with a colleague, I'm going for another type of feasibility. I'll do my tests and then get back to you.

I'm still open to any ideas!

@zoz_mp

No big deal for the 3°, you can put any kind of 1° or 2°, it's not an essentially serious data. I work with a slope of 1.15° personally.

See attached image

part and its symmetry as well as flat surface

Piece

Piece and its symmetry

unfold on a thickened flat surface

@+ ;-)

1 Like

Indeed, as gt22 says, you have to go through the surface and then convert it into sheet metal see attached

sw_-_conception_piece_de_tolerie.sldprt
3 Likes

Wow! Nice!

Originally I didn't want to do what WEBMAD does. I'm talking about the overall form, not the method... But in the end that's what I did -_- and it works. So for the method, I did differently than going through the surface (I have a much longer design tree xD).  I like your method.

@GT22 thank you very much for your efforts, even if I have questions about the final feasibility.

Do you have any questions?

The answer is in my posted images

@+

and in principle it's good

Smoothing there is the simplest design

1 Like

Hello

I agree with the gt22 method with the trick to not get caught up in the cup of making a symmetry.

The advantage of smoothing is that you only have to make a sketch of the start and finish. And that's fastoche.

Then you convert to sheet metal and the miracle you flatten which is done by itself.

To make complicated hoppers, nothing beats making a full volume and then a shell. then once the cuts in the corners are made (with the function provided for that then  transform the whole thing into sheet metal.

The advantage of the full volume is that you can see your part right away even before it is transformed into sheet metal. So you can position it in your ASM and see if you need to make changes or if it's good the first time.

I don't see the point of going through surface except maybe for those who master it perfectly.  (hihihihi !! ) That said, in surface area, the management of the rays is easier since it is done automatically when the surface goes to sheet metal so it's faster ;-) ;-)

Kind regards

2 Likes

Hello

I'm coming a little late but why not just use two sketches and then the Transition Folds function like in my attachment. A quick piece of principle

sw_-_conception_piece_de_tolerie_ac_cobra_427.sldprt
1 Like