SW: Material files, colors, blocks, ... Version-related?

Hello

I'm doing a bit of cleaning up in my libraries and I'd like to know if the files materials, colors, etc are related to the SW version, in plain English can I read with sw2012 (I still have customers with that) a file created or modified with SW2015.

It's not so much for the space occupied on the disk as to simplify maintenance (for the moment I'm going from 2010 to 2015...i.e. 6 versions!)

For the welded construction profiles, I understood that there had been an evolution so it may be more problematic?

Hello

If the file is saved in SW2015 format , you will not be able to open it on the 2012 version, you will have to switch to a * file. Step or *. IGS.

And normally if I'm not mistaken, it doesn't take the material in *.step and *.igs

The solution would be to keep your 2010 version for your customers and do a new installation for the 2015 version without updating the 2010. But install the toolbox in another folder to avoid problems on the 2010 version.

I had to do it at home because in our company we still have 2014. DOnc I have 2014 and 2015 and its function:)

I hope I was able to help you

1 Like

Off topic (but thank you anyway, it can be useful to others): it doesn't concern prt or asm files...

However, you won't be able to play sw2015 with an older version ;)

-Library

-Materials

-Block

-etc...

So the only possibility is to have the 2 versions in the end;)

On the other hand, everything that is mechanically welded construction profile, there should be no problems.

They're just sldlfp. Or dxf profiles basically. So I think that's ok.

But if all your files are well filed. The 2012 files in solidworks 2012 etc... Maintenance is done alone =)

1 Like

For the colors, I guess you have to save your profile to rebalance it in your other versions. Just to always have the same templates, menus, etc...

@Bart: since now we may have (2014 or 2015 it seems to me) profiles with configurations, is this still true?

Otherwise, I already have my directories classified by version, but I would have liked to reduce and optimize (when I add a profile for a version that it can be used by the others without doing any more manipulation).

I'm still going to do a few tries