SW2017 - Drilling + Tapping with GAS 1/4

Hello

I went from the 2012 version to the 2017 version and I encounter some difficulties when carrying out a drilling and tapping by gas 1/4. As an additional criterion, I need the 3D representation because the file is converted to . STL for 3D printing.

> I am lost, should I use the piercing assist? I don't get the 3D representation

> If I drill, then I do a tap. I do have a 3D representation but I can't get the gas net.

If a good soul passes by, I'm a taker.

As an attachment, a screenshot of my proposals during threading/tapping.

sans_titre.jpg

Hello Joseph

It's normal that you don't manage to do it this way because the gas step is not offered as a choice. Not possible either in SW 2019 version :-(

So you can't use this function as it is.
Indeed, the gas pitch is non-metric so you have no choice but to make the net yourself by drawing the profile and by doing a material removal or a spiral extrusion.

The profiles being well defined in the literature (ISO 228 if you have access to them) it is not a problem to reproduce it.

In summary: A sketch with the right profile and a spiral material removal with not the one you want, i.e. 1.336 for 1/4 gas.

Let us know if you need any further help.

Kind regards

1 Like

See this file among others for example

1/16 gas pitch

@+ ;-)

filetage_1-16_gaz.sldprt
2 Likes

See this link

http://joho.p.free.fr/EC/COURS%20DOC/FILETAGE/Construction/Filetages%20pour%20tuyauterie%20dits%20gaz.pdf

I'll be you I'll create a male imprint piece with the right step 

and for tapping position this male part in a piece to be tapped.

and do Boolean operations (combine) removal of matter

be careful the gas steps also says The Whitworth steps  are theoretically conical

@+ 

Hello

The gas steps are straight or conical depending on what you are looking for. Conical tapes ensure tightness without input  like Teflon.

GDF, to speak only of France, prohibits the use of binders between male and female.

Straight gases are used for water and compressed air, since the tightness is ensured in this case either Locitite, Teflon, or for the water of the pulp with flax fibre.

If it is for 3D printing, for example in plastic, the conical is to be avoided because it risks bursting the plastic because the stresses during a conical tightening are enormous.

I guess Joseph is that anyhow.

Kind regards

sorry @ Zozo

but are you sure of your message 

Conical tapes ensure tightness without input  like Teflon.

For me all the threaded fittings for a seal are conical pitch for (water and air) with the addition of filasse, Teflon etc...

The cylindrical pitches are sealed via flat joints installed perpendicular to the thread

if you put Teflon on a cylindrical step there is a good chance that it will leak ;-)

@+

Hi @gt22

the answer is YES because waterproofing is not done in the same way.

Look here you will see how the sealing is done on the cylindrical gas steps. I mentioned Teflon or Loctite because in pneumatics often for reasons of size you are forced to shorten the fitting and as a result you no longer have the waterproofing provided for by the standard. In addition, in pneumatics, the pressure is several bars while the gas pressure is much lower (0.5 bar), hence the leaks because the gas net is not designed for that, even if a lot of industry uses it.

But today, whether for pneumatic or water tyres, the JIC/SAT system is increasingly used, which has a conical seal over a larger area.

Be careful not to confuse the Withworth step which is now only a distant reference because the BSP (GB) and NPT (USA) are not quite identical and in any case slightly different from the Whitworth because the standards have evolved since about 1966.

In any case, it is likely that @Joseph will use the ISO 228-1:2000 standard, which is currently used in 145 countries. ;-)

Kind regards

1 Like

A big thank you for this avalanche of messages. This seems clear to me, although I have a hard time understanding why SW doesn't include it in its library.

For your curiosity, the gas pitch will be used to screw a cap at the end of the line. Also very often used as temperature/humidity sensor protection in weather. There is no question of significant pressure.

I'm testing all this tonight :-)

1 Like