Sheet metal symmetry

Hi all 

I would like to know how to achieve a symmetry of sheet metal.

Currently on my right sheet I do:

- Symmetry face selection

- Insertion --> symmetrical piece...

- to check "Volumetric bodies - Surface bodies - Axes - Plans - Custom properties

- I choose the reference side

- convert to sheet metal I put the right thickness as well as the right K factor

And recording

My problem is that my sheet metal developers don't have the same ribs.

Do you know where the error is.

Kind regards

Hello

can you make a screen print of the 2 pieces or put them attached so that we can understand where it sticks...

To make a symmetrical sheet metal, I proceed in this way.

In the assembly where the sheet metal is I make insertion/symmetrical component

I choose the plane and the room, I click on the next arrow.

In the tree view of the new window, I click on the part and then on create symmetrical version.

Then I press the next arrow.

I choose the option to create a new derived configuration in the existing files.

This does not create a new part but just a new configuration.

So the development is the same.

And here I validate.

And then on the laser cutting and bending drawing, I put the 1+1 Symmetrical annotation.

5 Likes

Hello

See these tutorials:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PkORV7xn2mY

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/cr%C3%A9ation-de-pi%C3%A8ce-sym%C3%A9trique

http://www.lynkoa.com/store/fr/les-differentes-symetries-danssolidworks.html

2 Likes

Is the radius the same???

1 Like

@sbadenis: The disadvantage is that the part depends on the assembly and is therefore difficult to reuse elsewhere.

I tried on a simple part with SW15: no problem.

Hello

@stefbeno,  no, I practice exactly the same way, I create an assembly, I do the symmetry of the part using as a sym plane a plane of my part in not of the assembly I save the part to keep the new configuration then I close the assembly without saving it.,  In addition, there is an advantage  if you need a part plan, you just have to recover the original plan, point to the symmetrical part and change the configuration.

may the force be with you.

1 Like

Otherwise I do it in the room itself. I create my piece and then I create a symmetrical gonfig and in this configue I choose a side of my piece and create the sym without merging the bodies and remove material from my masterpiece and there I have my two versions.

Bonour,

@manu67 yes it works too, but  by doing it like this you can't get the plan of the original  part to create the symmetrical plan. This is the big advantage of the above method.

may the force be with you.

1 Like

I did not know this way of doing things "that of sbadenis"; I just tested it and it works amazingly. I'm going to use it from now on. THANK YOU

Small clarification it sometimes happens to me to make a bogus assembly to make the symmetrical part with derived config then delete the assembly in which I created the config and no worries the symmetrical part updates well

1 Like

@sbadenis  yes that's what I explain above.

1 Like

I did the same thing and I'm just tinkering a little bit in the configs to have them separately. Because the sym is in the default, I put myself in the sym config and I create a new sym and delete the one in the default as they are well separated.

For Manu67 yes it creates a derived config rather than a config but this is not annoying in itself for me.

1 Like

Hello,  Thank you PL for the links to the tutorials. Not only is it very clear but very simple to follow. I think Claow and anyone else who is experiencing the same problem will have to follow the tutorial.