Symmetry Drawing

Hello

I have sheet metal frames in assembly, I did their respective drawings, but now I have to do their symmetry.

For the assembly, no worries, I just have to make a symmetry.

On the other hand, to avoid having to completely redo the drawing, isn't there a way to make the symmetry of the old mep?

It would save me a lot of time.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I'm afraid you don't have a choice. These 2 coins have different IDs, so the odds will not follow.

On the other hand, to save a little time, you can activate options of the symmetry function, in particular the recovery of the dimensions of the original (which you have certainly already done !!). View image

screenshot416.jpg
4 Likes

Yes, the 2 assemblies do not have the same ID.

That's exactly why I just wanted to make a symmetry of the first drawing on a second sheet for example.

I join the mep to realize the work.

Knowing that drawings of this type to be symmetrical, I have a lot of them!

mep.png

Hello!

Personally, when I have a problem with a drawing, I squizz it directly... It's not a very Catholic solution but basically, I register my MEP in .dwg and I work on Autocad... The fact that all the ribs follow from the MEP to the assembly can be very good, but sometimes... How heavy (not to say s****) !!!

PS: you can copy and paste too, it works both ways, from Solidworks to Autocad and from Autocad to Solidworks.

Cdt

Joss

2 Likes

Yes, I understood your request. And so my answer remains the same. I too spent hours making symmetrical shots...   ;(

2 Likes

Duplicate, sorry :x

1 Like

My mep is ok, the ribs are very good, but my concern is that I want to take the mep I joined you, and make it symmetrical, as simply as possible.

1 Like

if a maximum of dimensions come from the 3D model (by the "model objects" function) you can make a copy of your MEP and change the part in it (by file / open / references)

If your symmetry is well done and your symmetrical piece takes up the elements of the original (as Benoit.LF said), you shouldn't have too much work.

Otherwise, you have to do it all over again. :(

2 Likes

@Pascal,

I did the test of going back to the original drawing by re-orienting the reference to the symmetrical part, and it doesn't help at all (at least for the dimensions from the 3D)! Despite the link between the original part and the symmetry part (by the symmetry options), all the ribs become wobbly! It's a mess though!

1 Like

We had forgotten the "replace model" function which is a new function of Solidworks (appeared on the 2014)

In tools there is therefore replace the model, try, and you will see that for this case, it's almost perfect =)

Of course, my mep were rated entirely manually.

So, either I fix everything, or I go through replacing the model!

Thank you anyway for your ideas, and have a good weekend

Go Blues!!!!

3 Likes

@Bart, despite this new 2014 release (which may only be a button!), give it a try, in 2013 it doesn't seem to work.

1 Like

In tools there is therefore replace the model, try, and you will see that for this case, it's almost perfect =)

I'm still in 2013, I didn't know about this position.

it may have been made for this case...

I did the test of resuming the original drawing by re-orienting the reference to the symmetrical part, and it doesn't help at all (at least for the dimensions from the 3D)

It all depends on the number and type of dimensions imported from the model. If a majority of them come from 3D, all you have to do is import them and position them in the new MEP.

The dimensions created in the plan always lose their references, but they can be linked more or less easily.

4 Likes

So we agree @Pascal! :)

2 Likes

So we agree @Pascal! :)

Yes, we agree;)

It limits a bit the manipulation of dimensions and avoids starting the plane from scratch, but does not make a perfect symmetry of the plane, far from it.

This is a black spot of this software.

@Bart:

Can you give us an image of a raw plan from this new function, so that we can judge the effectiveness?

(for latecomers who have not yet switched to SW 2014)

2 Likes

Yes, sorry, I forgot to mention that I was in 2014

Here is the mep created with this function, I left it as it is so that you realize what still needs to be modified to be at the top:p

new_mep.png
1 Like

And here is the little button with its flap =)

bouton.png

Nice evolution: 2014-1998 = 16 years to have a button, hats off!

;D

2 Likes

Here is the mep created with this function, I left it as it is so that you realize what still needs to be modified to be at the top:p

Thank you;)

1 Like