Configuration and part family tables cannot handle the configuration of derived parts [Solved]

Hello

I try to use the SW configuration table as much as possible in order to give my colleagues an overview of the existing configurations.

I noticed my problem on a simple part, in which a derivative part is imported. This derivative part has several configurations, each of which must be linked to a configuration that is unique to them in the "mother" part. I create a "mother" part configuration per derived part configuration, and then save the SW configuration table view to be able to access it later.

My problem is that when I reopen this same view of the configuration table, an error message shows "This table will be cleared because the configured parts no longer exist", and then SolidWorks deletes the table.

EDIT: The problem seems to be the same with the "part family" tables, all the columns controlling the configuration of a derived part (with $CONFIGURATION@...) disappear after closing the table. This is a problem because the part family table is no longer accessible and a new table cannot be inserted, so it is no longer possible to use part families on this document.

The attached video illustrates the problem.

Is there an explanation for this behavior or is it a bug?

Thanks in advance,

Thibaut

[Solved]

After you reset the SolidWorks settings, the part family table functions normally. The SolidWorks configuration table continues to remove derivative part configuration columns, but after discussion with technical support, this behavior would not be a bug.

exemple_en_video.mp4

Hello

I can't see where this "edit configurations" command is.

However, when you have created your motherpart configurations, all you have to do is go to your derivative part in your creation tree, right-click and click on "configure function" to select the desired configuration according to the configuration of the motherpart. 

You should normally be able to find your configuration board without any worries! 

2022-09-05_09h54_37.png

Thank you Charley for your answer,

Effectively there are no problems using right-click - configure. Where the problem appears is when you try to save the view of this configuration table to access it quickly later (button at the bottom left of the configuration window).

Moreover, the problem is the same when using the parts families. I added to the 1st post a description of the problem as well as a video to describe the problem more precisely.

The list of parameters supported by the configurations can be found here -> "Understanding Part Family Settings - 2016 - SOLIDWORKS Help". Based on this information, the configuration management of derivative parts seems to be supported (see 1st line of the "parts only" table).

See the attached screenshot (1mn02)

Sw can't save to a certain location (write right blocked? or 2010 folder non-existent?) and so it opens another file (probably empty)

1 Like

Sbadenis, thanks for the remark, I redirected SW to the correct location and the error message of the properties.txt file no longer appears.

Unfortunately it didn't solve the original problem

Hello 

On my side under sw18, I don't yet benefit from the function (configure the function) only the options delete or cancel the deletion and available :(

On the other hand, with the excel family it works, and it's exactly the same procedure as yours, it must be a bug. 

Thank you for your feedback,

I have a very recent installation, so I'll try to contact technical support.

Hello;
Strangely I can't reproduce your problem, the tables appear well at home (SW2020 sp4 + Office 365 V1908)...
On the other hand, I wonder more about the fact that I want to create configurations of one room in another room....
wouldn't it be wiser to use an Assembly?
By the way, do you encounter this problem with this proposal (that of assembly...)?
Kind regards.

Thank you for the proposal. The parts I create are composed of two parts, the first part is always the same, so I import it as derivative parts (it has several configurations), then I build the second part normally before combining the two bodies (of the two parts) to get the finished part.

As far as I know, the fusion of bodies would not be feasible in an assembly. Also, I don't want it to be easy to move the two bodies. That's why I preferred to import a derivative part into a room.

I still tried to set up an assembly of my two parts, which works perfectly with the SW configuration table that I can save and reopen. On the other hand, I have the same problem with the room family table that disappears.