Tapping on 3D STEP

Hello

I'd like to see if anyone has a solution to indicate threads on a 3D STEP file.
Apart from the (3D) representation of the nets (which takes way too long for me).

My situation: I transfer my assembly to my subcontractor in WWTP and I would like to indicate threads etc

Thank you very much and have a good day everyone.

Hello

Apart from transferring a plan (PDF, DWG or other) or completely creating the threads on the 3D, there is no solution!

A simple tutorial for threading:

https://grabcad.com/questions/tutorial-modeling-unified-screw-threads-on-bolt-in-solidworks

We can also imagine transferring a 3D PDF or an Edrawing which can be a .exe file that does not require software.

Hello

It is always possible to create a color code with your supplier.

But it seems volatile to me.

4 Likes

For the colors complicated to manage and not necessarily seen the first time.

Then creating the 3D of the nets is not possible. Too long, I have 2000 components.

Hello.

If it's still the same S/T we can agree on a color coding and provide it with the legend.

It works well enough for adjustments or fully tapped holes

This trick still has its limits (it's + complicated for the depth of the tapping).

Edit

+1 remrem

Then there is the 3D dimensioning (I don't know if existing in Solidworks).

Hello

If this is not a privacy issue, you can send your subcontractor the sldprt file to open with eDrawing (free software). The threads are visible. (see image)

screenshot1287.jpg
1 Like

the one and only way is to model your actual threads and tapping in your 3D

to be able to convert it to a WWTP and to be visible there

nothing prevents you from creating threaded and tapping parts in a library

and via Boolean operations in the elevation of parts create these so-called taps

Inconvenient: Files + Heavy but Full Files

@+ ;-))

Another method is to create a cylindrical surface to represent the thread at the diameter and length. This cylinder is easily distinguishable from the parts of the assembly because it remains surfaces.

As an example, I made the representation of an M6, so I made a hole Ø5 Length 25mm and I made a cylinder in surface with a sketch by drawing a circle of Ø6 and then using the "extruded surface" function on 20mm in length.

That's it and in WWTP, it transfers very well

sans_titre.jpg
1 Like

Then, if you used the Drilling Wizard to do your Ø5 drill, all that's left is a "sketch-driven repetition" to repeat your surface on each hole.

Otherwise there may be macro professionals who would be able to make a small program to transform all the threads on the surface automatically???

@Dreamben

the threads via the drilling assistant under SW are not real threads, they are created via a revolution operation so no helix trace for the thread but a succession of lines 

Try to make a tap using this tool and look at the sketch that forms this shape and you will understand how it works

The best way for the problem mentioned above is to create threads of pitches and diff section

with the possibility of setting them in diameter, net and pitch to have for each pitch and diameter a solid piece

This part will be inserted into the support and via a Boolean operation remove the unwanted elements

The same can be done for threads

They can be managed via the Smart Tools

at least that's my point of view

@+ ;-))

@gt22

No, I'm not talking about the threads of the drilling assistant, but to create a "real surface" that corresponds to the thread.

And it can be exported very well in STEP or other extensions.