Corkscrew

Hello, I would like to make a corkscrew on solidworks 2017. I made helicoid but I don't know how to do it for the ends, the tip and the other end that goes into the handle.

Thank you in advance for the attention you will give to my request.

Hello

It's hard to explain this without a tutorial.
On youtube you have many tutorials on springs with different shapes of beginning and/or arrival.

The corkscrew is just a spring that is not elastic to look at.
It's a spring that missed its vocation (although it's not badly turned)  due to a lack of flexibility and that can be recycled into rigid packaging.

Kind regards

7 Likes

Hello

You made a request to me because you couldn't find a tutorial in French on YouTube.

Here's what I did for you, does it match your wish.

If it corresponds to your wishes, I will make you the tutorial so that my forum colleagues can tell you, if they have a better solution to offer you.

Kind regards

tire_bouchons_1_2.jpg
3 Likes

Hello @Zozo_mp 

Nice modeling but your helix is in the wrong way; In principle, screw clockwise.

That said, such a counterintuitive corkscrew can be effective in preventing an overly drunk guy from opening a new bottle!

2 Likes

More than the direction of gyration (you have the right to be left-handed), it's above all that a good corkscrew is not made with a wire wound like a spring (which leads to coring on an old well-glued cork) but twisting a square bar or by machining to have more or less the same shape as a wood screw.

After I started from the principle that @eldidi1957 already knows the profile he wants, so I didn't notice that for a good operation a corkscrew must have an identical diameter of turns up to the tip, and that the tip must remain in the direction of the turns (the end of the helix cut into a point, without deformation), this for optimal penetration into the cork and not to weaken its structure by multiple channels instead of just one (the @Zozo_mp model, with a central hole, and a variable diameter may indeed create a cork core rather than holding the cork firmly).

Yes of course you have the right to be left-handed @stefbeno except that the standard of screwing is hourly, so it has become natural even for a left-hander. Finally, the idea is that @eldidi1957 be aware of it before machining. He is free to make one for the left-footed if that's his goal.

Hello @ All and @ All

Ben! uh I did that quickly just to show the principle.

Note that good modeling makes it possible to find new outlets.

Kind regards

1 Like