Non-unfoldable rolled sheet metal

Hello

We can't unfold this piece (cf pj)

when it is recognized as a sheet metal piece, the unfolded becomes a simple rectangle.

It is a simple cylinder with one end cut at an angle.

At first, it was modeled with a simple cut-out, so the end face was not perpandicular to the side face.

We switched to surface to correct this defect, it didn't change anything.

capture_decran_35.png
1 Like

Hello

Try to make the cut at an angle after converting to sheet metal

1 Like

Try to do Insert/Sheet Metal/Folds and select not a face but an edge (in your image a straight vertical edge).

Given your image, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work...  

2 Likes

Hello

When you make your flattening, select one of the two flat faces on the cylinder height in front of the stationary reference.

S.B

1 Like

@s.b, on SolidWorks and on this kind of part (ferrule without flat part) you have to select the edge and not the face.

And only in this specific case. In the other cases, you have to select a face.

2 Likes

Hi @ Stefbeno

as an attachment the file of your part under SW 2012

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/r6EjlnFEvcmf9_7KB-JGs1wohNMPmubpVTnb2oZ2utg=w330-h207-p-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/myKOSGXia6k9I0Upx7DNlw4OvW-B5yEq77rNORqh8qk=w283-h178-p-no

v

That's  it 

@+ ;-)

deplier_tube_a_xdeg.sldprt
1 Like

Hello

@Benoit.LF,

Ok I don't know anything about Solidworks, but at the end of the arrow on the attached image, the face is flat.

This is the one I say to take as a reference.

S.B

capture_decran_35.png
1 Like

Here is an example of an equivalent pliece in a minimum of function 

About SW2013

tube.sldprt
7 Likes

@s.b

I know you're on Pro E.

I understood the face you indicated, but here we are in a very specific case where you have to select the edge. A subtlety that I discovered here, on Lynkoa! And even a trap, because in the function, when you have to select an entity, the logo represents a face! (At least in 2013).

That way you are informed if you ever go to SW ;-D

1 Like

@jfaradon

not being able to see your file I ask you a question

to minimize the functions how do you do

me on SW2012 I am forced to go through 3D sketches to be sure to have the unfolded 

See file and screenshot above

@+;-)

Hello everyone, all you have to do is check the box "normal material removal" in the material removal function that cuts the part.

If the removal is not normal, it creates sideways edges that can only be achieved with a 5-axis or more cutting machine, and therefore, not unfoldable at the moment with Solidworks.

Maybe Logopress does.

1 Like

Off-topic dsl

2 Likes

Thank you all,

I chose the JFaradon answer which is the simplest (2 functions).

@BenoitLF, I can't select the edge.

@Bart, you're not that off-topic. I even think that this is one of the key points of the play JFaradon. The "normal removal" option should allow SW not to lose the notion of sheet metal.

See attached the different stages of the modelling. @GT22, I think it should go to SW2012.

deplie_tole_roulee.jpg
2 Likes

@stefbeno.

It's amazing you can't select the edge !! Did you get Insert/Sheet metal/Folds right? (see image)

screenshot345.jpg

for me in SW2012 the selection of edge impossible for unfolded

the one and only way to do it was through 3D sketches

otherwise impossible

@ Stefbeno I just tried via your images it works

It's true that it's simpler although the normal cut has the material I find the rendering weird for my part everything is relative via the thickness of the sheet metal

and which of + is for the unfolded I didn't have to select anything?????

He makes us funny this log every day we learn

@+ ;-)

@Benoit.LF: At the time, I wasn't in the right position (I was looking to "convert to sheet metal").