Rolled sheet metal

Hello

I would like to make an insert in rolled sheet metal, not closed.

I first made the insert with simple  functions such as extrusion... (image 1) with the following dimensions: internal diameter = 7.3mm, thickness = 1.6mm, height = 22.5mm, opening along the length 2mm wide and notches about 1x5mm on each side (image 2).

I then unrolled the insert (image 3) to get the overall dimensions of the sheet metal. It can be seen that because of the material removal function for the notches, once unrolled, the sheet has angles at the location of the notches. This is normal if in terms of machining, we start by rolling the sheet metal and then we machine the notches.

This first way of doing things allows me to obtain the length of the unrolled sheet which at the level of the neutral fiber is close to 28mm to the decimal places.

In order to facilitate the realization, I now want to start with the opposite with a sheet metal with simplified dimensions (see image 4) 

My problem and now to roll up is sheet metal with the internal diameter of 7.3mm. How to do it???

At first no visible image 

in a second phase 

once your piece is done 

Take the Surface Flattening tool

to create your unfold 

@+

3 Likes

Hello

As our friend GT22 pointed out; There is no image.

Could you join them so we can take a look.

2 Likes

Image 1

1_-_insert_extrude.png

Image 2

2_-_insert_extrude_avec_encoche.png

Image 3

3_-_insert_extrude_deplie.png

Image 4

4_-_tole_depliee.png

Sorry for the inconvenience, I had attached them

Hello

Making this kind of sheet metal part seems very complicated to me. In machining might be the solution, wouldn't it?. Personally, I would look into that.

I just thought of the laser tube. This may be another solution.

In sheet metal, these parts are well made. We have it on our products and it's cheaper to manufacture than in machining. But since I get the product design in addition to my process design cap, I have this kind of part to design, hence my question

1 Like

Are these the ones you want? Part made in Solidworks 2016

tole_roulee_.sldprt

For the removal to be done correctly, simply check the box normal material removal see PJ

enlevement_de_matiere_normal_.jpg
2 Likes

This is indeed the right way, and in sheet metal work this function is very often used.

Thank you for your answers. They helped me a lot. Thank you