Sheet metal from a hull volume

Hi everyone

here is my problem I have recently been working with solidworks sheet metal and I have to provide him with sheet metal hopper chutes for a customer and send him parts in volume with a shell function and I make these chutes in 4 sides with folding edge to fix I have tried several methods ,   Starting from your sketch and noting my points in relation to the origin or selecting the edges of each face and converting them into sheet metal is quite tedious and not sure of the right method.

Do you have any idea how to do it?

Thank you for your feedback CDLT

Hello

Can you post a preview of the room in volume?

I'm posting a preview on Tuesday evening because I'm away on Monday.

Thank you for the interest. Cdlt Franck

Here is an overview of the parts that I have to put in 4-sided sheet metal

Thank you for your advice and especially the method for you that would be the best.

Cdlt 

Franck

I attach a plan of the clint part in shell and the desired realization.

See you soon

rep334_-_goulotte_a_faire_plan_client.sldprt
rep334_-_goulotte_6_20_006.sldasm

An additional image would be welcome, because some, like me, will not be able to open this version of prt.

Hello

There are sides that are foldable, others that are weldable. A cube and usually a convex piece can be made in one piece.

This is not the case with this chute, which also has concave areas. It should be made in 3-4 parts (separate pieces) that are folded, then welded. Just like in real life.

It is not a simple part so you have to think carefully before choosing the bent/welded edges. This is a quick proposal without optimizing anything. But other choices are possible.

Go back up the functions to find the bent edges.

rep334_-_goulotte_a_faire_plan_client.sldprt
1 Like

Thank you Soring for your answer

Indeed, each side will be done independently, I enclose a screenshot of the desired achievement.

What I'm looking for above all is the design method, either by taking their sketch and playing with the removal of material  and it's quite tedious or by starting from a 3d sketch that I don't think too much.

In the meantime I'll look at your proposal

See you soon

capture_envois_client.png
assemblage_tole_a_realiser.png
assemblage_tole_a_realiser_gros_plan.png

well I just looked and my design is simpler I think because I go face by face in one or two elements depending on the weight.

Is there a way to ask solidworks to separate the faces and convert them into sheet metal work, keeping the angles of course because the most important thing is the inside of the duct

See attached screenshot

capture_face.png

Hello

Don't forget the manufacturing! Avoid weld seams that are too long, otherwise beware of deformations

What you want to do looks furiously like a ventilation duct

https://www.prosynergie.fr/der--deport-rectangulaire-a-cadre-p-336087 (this provider is for example only)

Kind regards

1 Like

Indeed it looks like it for me there are sheaths for sorting where each sheath receives different materials and I work in a welding and laser cutting machine company. There are very few weld seams, only for unachievable bends because the bending machine has its limits and that's when a welded bend is added, but the maximum is bolted. as on the sheet metal capture to be made.

And my question is how to make its 4 sides from the customer sketch that was used for the extrusion and those that were used for the material removal to have the shape with its angles of the chute. Or is it possible with a 3d sketch to convert it into sheet metal by adding 40 mm folds on some  and 80mm lengths on sheets without folded edges.

And as I say , you have to study the sheets with folded edges and the one with the overlength.

Looking forward to your feedback and your ideas, good evening to you and thank you for your participation and help.

Cdlt Franck

Hello @franck.bodin85440 

If I can see correctly, the sheath is made in 7 pieces.       (I differ on this point from our friend @soring  whom I salute)

If our eminent colleague @ac cobra were to pass by, he would surely give you the most direct and elegant solution.

For the rest of the year, I think like the workshops that make ventilation ducts but it doesn't change much.

I have the impression that these 7 parts are assembled by spot welding, while the perforated wings of 15 to 20 mm are only used to position the parts together before welding and also to be able to fix the sheath totally assembled in the machine.
In addition, if it is materials that pass through the duct, it must be stronger  than if it is only air.
I say spot welding because it is the only way to have a seal because the position of the screw holes and their small number would not allow it.

I will give you an example to illustrate my point.

Kind regards

1 Like

Hello Zozo

The materials are very light and yes there are welding points in the tricky places.

I'll look at your example as soon as you put it online.

thank you for your help 

Cdlt Franck

Franck

From my point of view, all the pieces have the simplicity of the model I offer you. It has the advantage of being simple for bending machines and above all practically no scraps when cutting laser, water jet, etc...
I didn't put the slotted holes that don't add anything to the suggestion
I'm in SW 2021

Here in red is the part I modeled

Forgive me, I did it like a pig ;-)

Kind regards

flanc_de_gaine_ndeg_1_mis_a_plat_decoupe_-sous_solidw-_2022-07-16_13_11_35.jpg
flanc_de_gaine_ndeg_1_-sous_solidw-_2022-07-16_13_11_35.jpg
flanc_de_gaine_ndeg_1_-_2022-07-16_13_11_35.jpg
flanc_de_gaine_ndeg1____v1.sldprt
1 Like

Hello

I am aware that I do not fully answer your question but I have directed you towards the simplicity of machining.

According to your request and to achieve each sidewall in a simple way with the minimum of modification I used this method from your  chute

1.  from your 3D part use the ""cutting" function  in the sheet metal module
  2. We will have to proceed face by face
  3. select the edges of one side (be careful not more than one or two edges otherwise he says it's too complex and throws in the towel)
  4. Once a face is completely cut convert it into sheet metal
  5. The unfolded condition gives you the piece good for cutting.

For example, if you want to make two faces with a common fold, I suggest you make a "Block" that you will use as a sketch.
Then you just have to create a room with two blocks that have a common edge.
Obviously you have to add the loss to the fold but in your case it is not very important on a fold.

I have made a video (ZIP file) which I hope will allow you to understand the action in detail.

Kind regards

PS: Your ASM is unusable. In order for us to use it, you have to make a "pack and go" from your ASM     ===>file ===> pack and go ===> select ==> save in the Zip   files ===> post the zip on the forum as an attachment

rep334_-_goulotte_a_faire_plan_client1__zozo.sldprt
decouper_une_goulotte_en_plusieurs_flancs_2022-07-17_13h36_24.zip
1 Like

Thank you Zozo

Is indeed a method that I needed, even if all answers to  its interest of course.

I tried your method on Monday and give you feedback knowing that I start from the inside faces of the chute which are functional.

I'm reposting my assembly as described so you can see the shapes better.

Good evening and see you  soon.

Cdlt Franck

In! Uh! I don't see the pack and go