Sheet metal, forming the development of a part

Hello, I have a small problem with the sheet metal tools of solidworks, I know that it is possible to unfold a rolled or bent part but I would like to know if it is possible to do the opposite operation:

that is to say, from the development of a piece , make the fold or rolling.

Thank you for your help, I hope you have a good holiday season;)

For the folds, the answer is yes (following the sketch fold), for the rolling I don't know.

2 Likes

Hello @setyben 

via the Sketch Folds function

Yes, it is possible to do so

for rolling a tube

you make 359 folds of 1 degree 

But it takes a lot of time 

in general we never do it

@+

2 Likes

Hello

Could you please give us a screen print of the piece you want to form and how it should be finished.

1 Like

I can make a screen print, but the part doesn't exist, in fact I had the problem once and it's on an experimental basis, I'm going to have to do boiler assisted by solidworks so I'm wondering about it.

Thanks for the info, I'll see with the sketched fold function and get back to you...

1 Like

I've already had this case, my technique:

The "insert folds " tool by selecting an edge to roll. You just have to fill in the radius of the cylinder it seems to me, and normally it folds the sheet metal.

3 Likes

Yes it only makes one fold per function, I didn't try to make another fold as if I wanted to crunch the piece and finally with n folds.

1 Like

To understand the problem, here is an image, so I want to start from the flat part to arrive at a formed part:

It works with sketched fold but I don't understand why the corners are not formed, why we can't go to the end

It is because it does not take in ref 

than the rectilinear parts

it's the shelving that stops

So if you modify the ends 

everything will be curved 

@+

1 Like

Hi Ahmed, thank you for your help.

The problem with this function seems to me that it cannot be used in sheet metal, can I unfold and have my fold generators?

1 Like

For me you draw your rolled sheet metal without the shape (just the capable rectangle).

You use the unfolded function, and then you draw your shape flat.

And finally you fold your sheet metal.

In solidworks you have to avoid starting from the flat part, it's another way of thinking in my opinion.

3 Likes

@sbadenis, for a removal of material ok but for the complete part it is not possible with this method I have already tried it does not work because all the refs of the RC are removed.

What do you mean by rc ref? The marking of the different folds by crunching?

If that's it, you draw 2 1/2 offset circle, transition fold (with broken as an option)

Unfold function, material removal, then Folded and the different folds remain on the dev.

Attached part in SW2020 + screen preview

test_tolerie.sldprt

Thank you sbadenis, I'll try again as soon as I can.

By ref of the rc  I meant that all its outer contour is removed but I will make an example soon;)