Trou a bord tombé

How (or can you) make a hole in a sheet metal with sheet metal in solidworks?

Thank you in advance for your help...

Hello

Can you give us a picture or an explanation of what you call "Hole with fallen edge"?

@+

2 Likes

Hello 

What does that mean?

Do you have a sketch to understand a little but I think it will end with a stamping if I think about the same thing as you:)

If this is the case, you must use an additional piece in the shape of the crown to insert it on the main piece, in short, to be developed according to what you want.

A + 

@Coyote: Sorry, we're asking the same thing, again the problem of the answer at the same time.

2 Likes

Hello

I think you mean a soillage.

You can get this shape with the "Edge-Folded Sheet" function.

I'm attaching an image to illustrate my proposal.

I post the SW file after

Kind regards

pli-sur-arete.jpg
5 Likes

Here is the 3D (SW2013)

The "Unfold State" function only works on the round hole.

soillage.sldprt
5 Likes

Watch this video from SolidExpert on the SolidWorks Stamping Function

It allows a lot of things on any type of surface

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpiQewaM7sw

@+ ;-)

to reply to @jmsavoyat following these messages

I find the stamping function more judicious

which in my opinion is closer to the actual function used to make this type of shape

@+ ;-)

1 Like

@gt22: Ok, but since SW does not yet represent material deformations, the functions mentioned are only an approach to reality, the thicknesses remaining constant. If he wants to @maito a hole with a dropped edge (sheet metal application), it makes more sense to use the functions available in sheet metal work in order to exploit and possibly export the unfolded states.

Kind regards

1 Like

The stamping tool is in theory and practice a tool for deforming parts for sheet metal

so it should be a tool that complements the sheet metal functions

of the forming tool under the stamping tool with a material elevation with

a height limit that is residual to the offset sheet metal surface

it may be a new function in the new SW

@+ ;-)

1 Like

Good evening 

@jmsavoyat: It's an interesting way but it has diameter limits. I have the same type of problems to make tapping holes from M2.5 to M3  in 1/10 sheet metal

For the representation until now I made a stupid hole with a small extrude around it, a fillet and the insertion of a drilling function.... (it's a gas plant I know)

@gt22: I think that the stamping function is perhaps the most practical one.

1 Like

Another solution that is much simpler and identical, why not put a rivet or solder nut?

Indeed, the puncture-tapped allows for more thread but in view of the cost of the operation, a simple rivet  or weld nut could just as well be suitable for a smaller blow.

Afterwards, if it's for a question of resistance, a rivet nut could also do the trick.

Then from a realization point of view, I think the easiest way is to make a hole with a collar added.

Why is that? In some cutting programs, we need to replace the hole with an annotation (e.g. M3+). So, when 3D modeling, we just need to have a hole (ø2.5 in the case of a punctured-tapped M3) in order to be able to place just the annotation and remove the hole so that the program doesn't make a hole in addition to the puncture-tapped.

As a result, modeling the deformation to be able to unfold is in my opinion a plus that is not useful.

After that, I'm talking about cutting software that I know and not about everyone.

@+

1 Like

Hello

Excuse me for disappearing, I was on other things...

Here is a photo of the hole in question. I can't use the "bent sheet metal on edge" function once I've done my drilling.

trou_a_bord_tombe.pdf

How did you make your play?

@+

So I make a sketch with the desired profile that I make the revolution...

It's a solution that doesn't allow me to have my profile unfolded...

The solution proposed by jmsavoyat would apparently be the right one but strangely I can't select the circular edge that would allow me to make the fallen edge!

Hello

If you can't select the edge, it's probably because it's not circular. Is your hole well made on a flat face?

Kind regards

You also have the solution of using sheet metal function libraries with "Shape tools" which allow you to make all shapes of cutting, crevture, concave or convex shape etc ... In the help, you have the "Shape Tools Tutorial" if you want more info. 

I have the explanation of why I couldn't select this edge! I had made a simple sketch instead of choosing 3D in my extrusion...

My problem is solved! well, almost :)

Thank you for your answers that put me on the right road!