Solidworks users in different countries

Hello

We are a small team of engineers and we want to start a new project using Solidworks. We all live in a different country and we are looking for the best solution to be able to work on the same model. Each one will work on a different subset, but we would like to be able to update the main set and see the changes reflected directly.

What is the best solution, rent a server and use PDM? Are there any alternatives (such as GrabCAD) that are worthwhile?

Thank you in advance!

1 Like

Hello

In our business, we work with a design office in Canada and we have set up a Solidworks Enterprise PDM, it's the ideal solution I think!!

2 Likes

Hello

For my part for this kind of thing I use collabtive, the problem is that it doesn't make a link... At first glance this is what you want to do. I'll still put the link in case you want to take a look: http://www.collabtive.com/  it's an open source if you want to test it don't hesitate to contact me I have an active version on my servers ;)

Otherwise there is myCadPlace... But you need MyCaService Premium if I'm not mistaken.

Otherwise there is always the solution to make an FTP server where you could send the modified files.

Or a 2nd solution there are QNAP NAS servers which have a system that automatically synchronizes in 2 directions the files modify as soon as there is a change ... But I just have to check if it can also work externally... But it's like a cloud system... I can take some screenshots of the software delivered with the NAS disk which is accessible by the net if you configure it for :)

2 Likes

What is the size of your team?
What is the size of the model?

What appeals to me the most in your question is the "directly" in:
"see the changes reflected directly".

Your problem is mainly the transfer of data: the upload speed. It does not seem conceivable to me to work directly on a remote server. There will have to be a transfer between the local machine and the server, so there will necessarily be a delay in the actulization.

EPDM can handle this transfer but depending on your project it may be a big machine to simply handle a file transfer. A simple take-away composition deposited in a Dropbox could do the trick.

3 Likes

Thank you all for your answers!

Centor, I'll take a look at your proposals, QNAP NAS looks very interesting to me and could meet our needs.

Stefbeno, there are 3 of us at the moment but the team will surely increase during the year. When I say "see changes reflected directly", I was thinking of a message that warns us that the template has been changed and that we can update it to see the changes. We thought about Dropbox, which could be suitable as long as there are only 3 of us, but in the medium term, when the team grows, I don't think it suits us.

I contacted GrabCAD to get information and especially what are the differences with EPDM. So, for EPDM users, how do you find its use? Is it simple and reliable?

Thank you all!

I found the address: https://www.qnap.com/i/fr/

Here you can see all the existing QNAP NAS disk types, with the built-in software depending on the version and their capacity... With some model there is even the possibility of virtualizing a system ...

Personally I have a Qnap at home and I'm very happy with these options :) ... But today there are more resentful ;) and more efficient:)

Hello

It all depends on the countries where your employees are located.

For our part, we work with China and the flow is very limited and unstable.

But "thanks" to the time difference, we can do a replication of the files during the night at their place (around 1:00 p.m. at home).

I strongly recommend onshape.com

The paid version is really complete and costs 100 euros per person, which is nothing compared to the thousands of euros of SolidWorks...

1 Like