Using SolidWorks to Work with DXF or DWG

Hello

We have  SolidWorks 2020 and I wanted to know if it is possible to work with DWG or DXF (as we can do with for example Autocad)? that is to say to move views, to superimpose them, to take dimensions, to change colors, the different views, to draw lines....

Thanking you in advance for your answers 

Kind regards.

Fred

No, not possible, Solidworks is not made for that at all. (even if it opens this format)

You have to go through Draftsight (now paid...) or Autocad or equivalent

5 Likes

Hello

Yes, it is possible to work from native DWG and DXF files.

you will have to import the DWG and DXF files, for this:

1. Select the import method:

- either in a new drawing

- either incorporate with the right scale

2. Import the desired layers

3.Select the right output  dimension (e.g. A3), possibility to position the origin, possibility to adjust the scale

Solidworks is not made for 2D work, even if you can manage, you should use DraftSight.

It is a paid 2D CAD software from Dassault Systèmes and allows you to create, edit and visualize DWG and DXF files

Cdlt

2 Likes

I confirm a little of the two previous answers. SW is very limited in 2D functions compared to Autocad. Complex 2Ds are very badly read by SW (slowness).

The only use (for me) is importing sketches to avoid redrawing.

3 Likes

NanoCad can largely replace Drafsight and still has a free version.

4 Likes

The flaw of Nanocad is that the free version does not open recent dwgs.

A trick can be to save it in an older version with Trueview (viewer) and then modify it with Nanocad.

Or else go to the checkout for Draftsight or autocad/Autocad/light or another equivalent.

1 Like

Thank you all for your answers.

Cdt

Fred