Utility to check the fitment?

Hi all

A colleague asked me if there was an add-in or utility for SolidWorks, to check if mounting was possible.

I don't think it exists, but I'm turning to you anyway.

The sub-assembly concerned is correct at the level of the side chain when it is in position, but it is impossible to mount!

After several attempts, you always find yourself at some point with an interference between two pieces when putting in position.

Has anyone ever heard of such a supplement?

It seems complicated to me because of the multiple possibilities during the assembly.

1 Like

Have you tested with the "Interference Detection" function from your Assembly? 

8 Likes

Otherwise, by moving the pieces, it is enough to block when there is a collision.

2014-07-17__detectioncollision.jpg
2 Likes

same idea as the others:

Move the component with the "Structural Dynamics" option enabled.

it allows one part to push another

on the other hand it may not be easy if you have to do translations and rotations at the same time...

Edit: I forgot to specify, you don't need any colliding parts at the beginning for it to work (a coincidence of faces is considered a collision)

2 Likes

There is driveAssembly, you drive a dimension and you can see the interferences that appear.

But since I don't use it, I can't give more info

2 Likes

Otherwise you make a prototype and you'll see directly!

Well Ok not valid

1 Like

@flegendre :

The assembly when mounted and in position has no interference! It is only during assembly (positioning) that interference occurs!

@opiep27 and @pascal :

Indeed, collision detection is a priori the closest thing to what I want, but if it was done automatically, it would be even better!

@opiep27 :

In this case, it's not the dimensions that are the problem, so I'm not sure that Drive Assembly is useful.

So a priori no utility to help with assembly (yes, we have the right to dream!)?

2 Likes

@Tomalam :

That's what we thought about too, but for a unit production... might as well redesign the design!

2 Likes

3D printing!

1 Like

By taking the positional dimension(s) and varying it in driveassembly, it should work.

Of course, it's like shooting a dimension to move the component.

edit: otherwise you extrude in the assembly, the outline of the inserted part, according to the path it should have. And you'll have interference.  But nothing auto in there either...

1 Like

Yes, yes I understood that you were talking about 3D printing!

1 Like

A grinder, a hammer and you're done!

2 Likes

Hi @ Lucas

Have you watched this tutorial

tolanalyst tool on SolidWorks premium
In an assembly dimension chain analysis (tolerances via DIM Expert)

http://www.lynkoa.com/tutos/3d/tuto-outil-tolanalyst-tolerances-chaine-de-cote

@+.............

1 Like

What do you call "automatic"?

The structural dynamics option allows you to move a part or sub-assembly (almost) just like in real life.

If the part comes into contact with another, you will not be able to continue moving in that direction, but other movements are still possible.

The few times I wanted to check a mountability, I did it like this.

Personally, the space pilot allows me to manipulate my part as if I had it in my hand, it's practical to do translations and rotations at the same time, but even without this gadjet, you struggle a little more but it works

1 Like

In automatic: simply consider all the possibilities, and report if assembly is impossible! I know it's a bit utopian and I suspected that it didn't exist, but that's what my colleague asked me!

@Pascal: sorry but Opiep offered collision detection just before you!

In addition, the idea of creating an extrusion of the profile of the part, then making a 3D sketch with a scan of it seems simple and effective enough to see the interferences.

1 Like