Worm screws

Hello

I would like to know if there are any functions in solidworks dedicated to the creation of fine screws with different square/trapezoidal/helical threads etc. Or if you have to make your rod and thread by hand with the curve assistant as I have seen in some Youtube videos. 

My goal would be to simulate different systems (classic screws, ball screws etc.) used to lift a load vertically and make a choice according to the results. If you have another more suitable software to recommend, I'm interested :) 

this is a new SW2016.

If you don't have this version yet, you may be able to find what you're looking for on:

http://bib.altitech.free.fr/aide_altitech/generalites/vit00.htm

in the 3D Library section I think you should find things.

4 Likes

You can have a preview of the new in 2016 at 2min40 of this video:

https://youtu.be/_Bjv1b6w0OI

Big time saver!

2 Likes

It's funny, as Flegendre said, that's exactly what we saw at Mycaday!

3 Likes

So much the better if SolidWorks now offers this feature. That said, for this kind of thing it would seem safer and more efficient to simply dive into the technical documents of the manufacturers than to want to simulate even years of experience.

4 Likes

I agree with Chamade on the technical documentation side of the manufacturers who have precisely this data! 

The simulation can allow you to have an approach, but you still have to take into account all the right factors and make the right assumptions.

1 Like

Thanks for the info on solidworks 2016, I just tried, on the other hand it doesn't look very elaborate... No possibility to make a screw with several threads (what they call "starts" in English).

I'm also not sure I can simulate a ball screw.

To have 3 starts, you draw the first one and then you do a circular repetition. I don't have 2016 so I don't know if it works but when you do your material removal by scanning following the helix curve you can repeat your function without any problem.

1 Like

Ok, not stupid the idea of circular repetition:)

Hello

Prud'homme Transmissions sells Archimedes Screws for which step files are available on request at info@prudhomme-trans.com

We can also help you determine the most suitable screw for your application if you wish

209_150401.pdf