2 x BOMs / 2 types of numbering (trade and fab)

Hello

I am looking to create two nomenclatures on the same plan with two types of numbering.
One for manufacturing from 0 to 99, and another for trade starting at 100 to xxx.
I tried with configurations, I can make two nomenclatures and two numbering but not the bubbles.
The problem is the bubble, it follows either one series or another...

The solution runs on Inventor. But here on SolidWorks???

A solution? thank you for your help

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Could you please share an example and specify what (visual) rendering you expect?

Hello;

In Solidworks, BOMs can only be attached to a view of your Drawing.
If you want to have two types of numbering, you will have to duplicate your views and associate them with each of the nomenclatures...

Right-click on a view: Property: and in the " Balloons " box, choose the nomenclature to be associated with this view.

Kind regards.

3 Likes

It is not possible in SW to have 2 series of balloons each linked to a different nomenclature.
A trick would be to use component references in the assembly (if they are not already used for something else) or custom properties.
Thus, with stacked bubbles, you can, on the same view, have your two numberings.
A variant is possible with a simple annotation:
Add a column in your BOM and define a formula to calculate the second numbering:

Then follow this method: Linking a Note to a Table Cell - 2020 - SOLIDWORKS Help
Group the note with the balloon.

The result with each of the methods:

6 Likes

Well seen as a trick @Silver_Surfer ... I had never thought about it.
+1 for the equation that avoids duplicate numbering :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

@Silver_Surfer thank you for your welcome and your solution indeed, I had thought of this solution associated with a personalized property.
This is not suitable because it requires additional control on the plans and that the person who carries it out be rigorous. Very good solution on small assemblies and projects on the project that occupies me too much work (no money :slight_smile: )

@Maclane Thanks to you for this solution, this one is a problem for me for the bubble.
If you apply this method you have to bubble that on this view with the numbering 100,101,102, etc...., and on another view 1,2,3, etc...., I can't associate these two numbering styles on the same view. Well done all the same.

I had a third solution (which can be combined with yours), to make two MANUFACTURING & TRADE configurations, to use the " view from another position " drawing function and via the tree click on both models for each bill of materials. The problems encountered are the bubble, the main configuration accepts the bubbles not the other, the other problem, the configurations being gathered in one view, but dissociated there are drawing mistakes, strong lines that intersect

Thank you both for these 2 viable solutions, but too complex and requiring too much manual input with recurrent risks of error. I'm thinking of the already colossal work that the people who will control the plans for this project and the draftsmen will have.

For information and without comparison, this applies very well to Inventor, which is more flexible on this subject

Do not hesitate to come back to me if I have not interpreted one or the other solution correctly.

Sorry I can't share any element of this project for the client's discretion

The solution of @Silver_Surfer is not necessarily associated with a new property, on the contrary (he will contradict me if I am wrong) it seems to me that he simply uses a new column of his nomenclature in which he applies a multiplication factor of the column " Item No" (x100) (via a nomenclature equation) in order to avoid duplicate numbering.

3 Likes

a solution that I find very elegant by the way!
I'm just a little disappointed with Solidworks on this one: you can't call this new column in the bubble settings with separator line (although it's convenient to double dimension xd)

1 Like

I'm also looking for a bubble (capsule shape) with double properties to associate a rep and a plan number but another subject!
Yes yes here it's a challenge every day :rofl:

A ok, not bad
I will meditate on this solution :thinking:

For your " capsule " it's here:

1 Like

@Maclane
Correct!

2 Likes

I come back to this 3rd
The BOMs are well differentiated using configuration and numbering (0,1,2,3, etc... & 100,101, etc.). And the bubble goes well with both BOMs and two configurations
But the drawing is not in conformity with strong lines that intersect

This solution gives me the information I'm looking for and meets my needs well, except for the bubble.
One is the marker of the room, but the other is a shot number (too long for the balloon). So my idea was to change the shape to a "control style" shape.
But under this style there is no possibility to put two custom properties.
Challenge :sweat_smile:

Why not use Unstyled or " Square" Bubbles 
https://help.solidworks.com/2021/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/c_Balloon_Styles_and_Sizes.htm?id=22a909a4c0444c05b8de7c93cc17cced#Pg0

2 Likes

@Maclane
In case I have two custom properties I only have one style available (circular dividing line)!
Is this normal?
Or did I do something stupid? this one is in my ropes :sweat_smile:

There is also the stacked bubbles feature (which I just discovered ^^)

If you call the right property or other it can work ...

On the other hand, it would not be interesting to put the business numbering in personalized ownership? To always have the same reference on the parts according to the plan?

3 Likes

On the other hand, I hadn't reacted at the time but... Why have two different numbering on the same plane?

I mean: you have one shot, you have one view... whether it's trade or manufacturing, they'll see that there's another BOM. So, what's the final interest?

3 Likes

Yes, I know this solution but I can't change the shape, which complicates the size of the bubble which takes the length of the plan number indicated with the rep.

To say a little more, we work with two softwares, Inventor and SolidWorks
SolidWorks is late so must apply itself to follow another software it's the Olympics here