Convert a solidworks assembly to a step

Hello

I can't turn my solidworks file (assembly) into a step. I think the file is too large. Do you have a solution?

Thank you.

Hello

Have you tried to change the version of the Step. ( .step ap214 or .step ap203) when registering?

Otherwise try unchecking settings in the export options:

1 Like

Remove anything that can weigh down unnecessarily (screws and other small parts)

1 Like

Azrod> I've tried both versions but there's no change.
For the settings, what will it change during the export?

Hello

I think you should first try to make it a part and then make it a step. This is to send to someone who has SolidWorks??? Otherwise you can also try Parasolid the 4th type from the top...

2 Likes

sbadenis > I can't remove the screws and small parts (I need absolutely all the parts in the step file).

ac cobra> I know that all software can open the steps, is it the same for the parasolid?

Hello

It's happened to us before. I recommend saving in SolidWorks as a part, keeping all the bodies, and then from this part to save as a STEP.

2 Likes

Parasolid is a classic, there are also IGES and SAT which are common.

How many parts in the assembly (there is a "statistics" function in SW)?

2 Likes

stefbeno > I have 136 components (so not huge in my opinion) and the file is 16,351 KB in size.
Maybe I'm doing it wrong when recording. But I also noticed that my solidworks crashes when I try to open steps that are too bulky (from the top solid software).

.PL > Unfortunately my software crashes when recording in pieces keeping all the bodies...

There is quite a bit of software that opens it...

1 Like

After a try to record it in parasolid, the software crashed after a second of reflection...

Hello

If it's to send to a customer, there is still the solution of executable edrawing.

It allows the client to open the file without having eDrawing.

It's often a heavy file, but you just have to compress it with winrar.

2 Likes

Bart> the file is intended for our subcontractors. We switched to solidworks for a short time, we had no problems when we were on top solid to do the steps.

1 Like

Can you attach the native file?

To see if we get to the same size of step files at the beginning?

1 Like

What version of SolidWorks is it? SP5 for 2015 and earlier, or SP3 for 2016?

The latest SP solves a lot of bugs!

3 Likes

have you all your parts solved in your assembly

especially if it crashes after an attempt to record in parasolid

you must have a problem somewhere

how many sub-assemblies do you have

how did you create this assembly

2 Likes

.PL >We are in the SP3 solidworks 2016 verse.

gt22 > All my parts are resolved. In my assemblies, there are 2 sub-assemblies. On the other hand, I have a motherboard that is a surface part (after opening the step, it generated an assembly but we only wanted one part so as not to manage 2000 parts and we didn't find any other solution than to make it a surface part). Could the problem come from there?

2 Likes

See this link Opening Large Assemblies in Solidworks

http://www.mycadblog.fr/ouverture-de-gros-assemblages-dans-solidworks/

How long does it take you to open your complete assembly in solidworks

See this great tutorial for the management of large assemblies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ai7iJNYQMI

@+

1 Like

From memory, the surface is mega heavy.

Try to remove the motherboard, if it works, re-register it in volume parts.

3 Likes

After several tries, I finally managed to record in step. On the other hand, after opening it, to check that all the parts were present. The motherboard does not appear.

Bart> How do you record a surface piece in volume?