STEP file in PDF format

Hello

In Solidworks, when I save a file in STEP format in my folders it is in PDF type.

Do you have a solution to solve this problem?

Thank you

Hello

When you say that your file is in pdf type in your folder, you have to understand that the extension is pdf or that the file icon is pdf?

Kind regards

1 Like

It has the PDF icon and when I want to open it by clicking on it, it wants to open it in Adobe Reader.

capture.png

Hello

try right-clicking on your file, -> open with -> choose the default -> Solidworks program.

1 Like

In my opinion, this is also just a default program problem on step files in Windows.

2 Likes

Hello:

Open your Windows Explorer in a folder with a step file. Then right-click on the .step shit and then "Open with...."  then "Choose the default program"

Choose the desired program and check the box "Always use the selected program to open this file type". Finally valid.

@+

2 Likes

When I put Solidworks as the default program, there is an error that the program cannot be associated with this type of file.

capture.png

I make tool assemblies for a CAD/CAM and in Solidworks when my assembly is finished, I want to save it in STEP format.

And so I end up with a PDF file.

You end up with a . STEP but Windows wants to open it with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, obviously the problem comes from the association of the default program with the file extension in Windows.

With which default program do you want to open this step file?

Kind regards

Just to check, if you haven't done so, enable the display of file extensions in Windows Explorer (under W7: tools/folder option/view/ uncheck the "hide file extension of known type" box).

but I think, like my colleagues, rather of a problem of program association.

If you can, try installing IDA-Step (it's a free viewer in the basic version) which will associate with the STEP files automatically and allow you to check your file in a faster way than opening it in SW.

1 Like

My default program for opening STEP files is Solidworks.

And my PC is under W10

Hello 

In your screenshot you can see that the default program is Adobe, you just have to click on edit and choose  Solidworks

capture.png

Hello

I think I already had this problem with an older version of Solidworks. This was mainly due to limitations imposed by our IT department on user profiles.

If it's the same case (i.e.: you're not a local administrator of your PC), an administrator must take over and associate the extension with the program.

If it still doesn't work, it could be that the Soidworks installation is corrupted (by the way, which version is it?)

I am not an administrator of my PC and I have Solidworks 2016

So try to see with an administrator of the info service so that he can make the association (from memory it intervenes on the registry database and I think you don't have the rights hence the crash)

Hello

install ida-step which is a viewer step, so it will replace adobe in the default choice

It's not a solidworks problem but W10 file affiliation

IDA-STEP is a revolutionary modular software designed to view and edit STEP files, including 2D / 3D models, PCB/PCA, as well as PDM and other such data.

IDA-STEP aims to cover many aspects of industrial product modeling, with a stress on 3D viewing and PCB editing, easing the manufacturing process considerably. In this respect, it provides users with a suite of components that can contribute to a more convenient analysis of CAD data.

1 Like

So the solution would be for me to ask my IT department to take over in order to associate the STEP file with Solidworks?

Personally I always go through solidworks to open the STEP, by doing file/open, because a double click on a STEP directly in the explorer doesn't work all the time ...

1 Like

Indeed, when I want to open the file directly from Solidworks, I have no problems, but only when I double-click on the file.

Or, drag the file to Solid which also causes the file to open with Solid. Don't forget to save the new file with Solid and STEP, and let us know if the problem is still there...

Thank you, very cordially