Extremely slow opening of solidworks 2017 files

Hi all

First of all, happy new year!

For the past few months, I have been experiencing a terribly slow opening of parts or assemblies in solidworks. It takes about 2s per piece so when I open a 3d injection mold, the 10min wait is quickly reached...

I've tried several ways to do it (open in light, don 't solve subsets,.. etc) and nothing helps.

The hard drive is new (7200rpm), I updated bios, drivers and solidworks in sp5... My default templates are local and no add-ins are active. The system is also not stressed and my swap file is 2x the ram.

If anyone has an idea... I'm a taker!

Thank you

Roman

Hello

BONE?

Which processor on the motherboard? (precise reference)

How much RAM??

SW version??    (SP5 does not indicate the year)

Then you have to look in the task manager (right click in the taskbar at the bottom of your screen) of Windaub in the performance tab. This gives a good overview of the physical memory (total, cached, available, etc...)

If you click in the performance tab on resource monitor you will have an idea if it comes from the computer or something else.

Kind regards

4 Likes

see if your graphics card is well optimized for 2017

@+

4 Likes

Do the molds work according to the principle of "External References"?

So check the Solidworks system settings (opening yes/no/etc... of External Refs)

This can cause the opening to slow down.

But be careful to know that when you work with external references, you ask not to open the files concerned = risk of having an out-of-date reference!

If you don't know how to manage external references too much, it's better to leave it "always open"

Also check if there are any "non-useful" Solidworks add-ins that are struggling, and therefore that can be disabled.

4 Likes

Hello

Thank you for your feedback!

To answer @zozo_mp

Win 7 pro 64bit

Ram: 16GB

SW version: as marked in the title 2017 SP5;-)

Manager: Memory 17%, CPU between 0 and 13%

The station has been tested by the news service and no problems detected. As a preventive measure, we replaced the DDs.

To answer @GT22 the driver is the one recommended on the customer portal for a quadro 4000 of course!

and finally to answer @olivier42 the references external to the assembly are all local. Moreover it does it to me on assemblies that have not been modified for 3 years which worked very well before. I tried multiple different configurations of the sw settings, nothing helped. In addition, all the supplements are discharged.

If I need more details I remain available!

Thank you

Roma

1 Like

@rom's question

why no SSD on hard disk to operate and program

since you're talking about The hard drive is new (7200rpm) 

It's this version

Certified Driver Results (Recommended)

System

Map

Pilot

SOLIDWORKS

HIMSELF

Remarks

NVIDIA

Quadro 4000

Win10 x64

Remarks 

NVIDIA

Quadro 4000

Win7 x64

Remarks 

NVIDIA

Quadro 4000

Win8.1 x64

Remarks 

@+ ;-)

1 Like

Hi @GT22

I don't want an ssd because with the rheologies I run; There are far too many  volumes of writes on the disk during the iterations of the solver's calculations and therefore fatal for the sectors of the SSDs over time.

For the installed driver, it is indeed 362.13. But there are no graphical problems, only solid which takes a crazy amount of time to read files (even without building trees).

Thank you

rom's

Hello

Try by excluding your solidworks files from the real-time analysis of your anti-virus.

Kind regards

3 Likes

Hello, you changed the version of Solid but have you thought about converting your files as well??? because Solid first converts the files before opening them and that every time it is opened as long as there are no new backups.

Kind regards

6 Likes

Hello again

@d.roger: I first excluded all solidworks extensions. Then removed the antivirus. Nothing changed. 

@G.: Yes, I did save in 2017 and re-advertise the opening and the reopening either...

Even assemblies on flash media (SD card) do not improve the aperture. Nor the opening with speedpack for that matter.

Unless confidential, and if you want, can you make a composition to take away from your assembly for test and timing of opening on other PCs?

1 Like

No problem!

Attached is a 3D of tooling (100MB) imported into a step that usually takes 10 to 15s, then converted in 2016. Opening time 1min55s.

I converted it in 2017 and it still takes 1min55s.

Pack and go done in 11s...

moule_test.rar

Ouch, wouldn't there be a ... virus that would wander around to slow down the PC??? ...

On all computers it does the same???

Cdt

1 Like

No, I only have a problem in solid and no virus or anything else (the info department and I went through it with a fine-tooth comb). All the tests other than solid are conclusive. The solid rx perf test crashes so I couldn't find out more... For your information, a 6GB rheo study on the ram opens in 8s...

Test result:

- Solidworks 2017 SP4.1, Windows 10, intel core i7, 16G0 of Ram, scratch card not certified.

- Composition unzipped on the desk.

- Solidworks already started.

- Double click on the assembly "Set secondaire_1.sldasm"

- Open in 4 seconds in light mode.

- Open in 8 seconds in resolved mode.

Warning, 1 file in state deleted because not found: "primary. SLDPRT" so to check if there is no problem on this particular file.

No particular problems encountered.

3 Likes

Test result on another PC:

- Solidworks 2017 SP4.1, laptop, Windows 10, intel core i5, 8GB of RAM, 5400 rpm HDD, non-certified graphics card.

- Composition unzipped on the desk.

- Solidworks already started.

- Double click on the assembly "Ensemble secondaire_1.sldasm".

- 1st opening in 40 seconds in resolved mode.

- closing the file.

- 2nd opening in 20 seconds in resolved mode.

Still the same file in state deleted because not found: "primary. SLDPRT".

No particular problems found.

2 Likes

@d.Roger

Thank you for your help! Indeed the difference is obvious...

Do you know how to make me a copy of the solidworks parameters to see if it can come from there? If you don't mind of course!

Thank you

rom's

Hello

Since your problems focus on SW, try to disable add-ins in SW. Then, try a repair of the installation or a complete reinstall...

3 Likes

Here are 2 sldreg files, 1 for the original SW 2017 options and 1 with the backup of the system options I have on my PC. You will inevitably have problems with the second one because it includes a number of lines that will not be able to work on your PC such as the path of the folders, the name of the templates, etc ...

Try first with the original SW2017 sldreg, this one was done directly after the installation of SW.

Kind regards

sw_local.zip