DataRecovery tool not working

Hello
I have repeatedly used the DataRecovery tool of myCADTool in order to quickly update several data of several parts which are tedious to do by hand but in no case has the data been recorded by Solidworks. The excel file has been modified, I followed the youtube tutorial to the letter but in my case no change is visible. Do you have any idea why the DataRecovery tool doesn't work?

Hello;
I haven't tested the latest version (2024-sp2) yet, but the previous one of DataRecovery gave me a lot of problems on all my components with configurations (random changes to properties)...
[By the way, most Visiativ tools are not super suitable for configuration management...]
In your case, you should tell us more... the versions used (Solidworks and MycadTools) as well as the type of property you want to modify...

1 Like

I'm on the 2024 SP1 version of solidworks and the same for myCADtool. I'm trying to update custom properties that are originally filled in on a card when creating a part on soldiworks. Some data was not known and now I would like to update it without the need to extract the parts (they are shared on PDM) which immediately takes a lot of time when you have several parts to update. That's why I'd like to use DataRecovery

Datarecovery does not create new properties if they do not exist.

The property is already created, you just need to modify the field for the different products

Hello
I did a little monologue on this post, if it helps :slight_smile:

Hello

Are you using DataRecovery from myCADtools or myPDMtools?
If you use the former, it does not automatically extract and archive files. It must therefore be done manually beforehand.

The DataRecovery tool from myPDMtools allows you to do this automatically.

@Maclane thank you for escalating your issues to support so they can analyze and identify the issue

Kind regards

1 Like

Hello

Data Recovery can be finick, but normally, it works pretty well. I recently rewrote over 75000 cards with this tool, with ~90 variables per card. It took a long time, but it was done.

The method:
Prerequisite: Files must be archived. The user must have extraction and write rights on all map variables, for all file STATES, regardless of their WORKFLOW. An admin account with all the rights is very convenient.

1-Extract
Using the Datarecovery, make a " Extraction of properties in an Excel file" on all the files to be modified to retrieve a template of the excel file to be filled in, with the correct designation for the file names, configurations and all the variables present on the associated file cards.
The file ID is to be chosen according to your vault. If all the files are stored in the same folder, you can take " File name with extension ", otherwise, it is better to take " full path"

2-Modification of the generated Excel file.
The Filename and Configuration columns should not be changed.
The column headers should not be changed, they should perfectly match the names of the variables on the map.
We reprocess the file to modify all the desired properties.

IMPORTANT, if you use formulas in excel, you have to copy/paste in text mode to overwrite all the formulas and keep only the text. Datarecovery does not know how to read formulas in Excel.

3-Writing the cards
Using the Datarecovery, make a " Fill in the cards from an Excel file".
The file ID must match what was chosen in Extract.
Configuration management is what you want to do.
Updating revisions requires write access to the SQL database.

Good luck!

3 Likes