Material for taking the dimensions

Hello

I would like to have your opinion on this subject:
I work in metalwork and we are often required to take sides on existing constructions, whether it is for a staircase, railing, mezzanine creation or anything else.
Then comes the delicate question of taking a step aside in this type of situation.
We currently do this by the meter + simple laser rangefinder + digital square.
Ribbing can be tedious and inaccurate, which leads to problems when setting the floor.

So we are thinking about equipping ourselves a little better.
We evaluated Leica's 3D distortion last year.

https://shop.leica-geosystems.com/fr/fr-FR/measurement-tools/3d-disto/leica-3d-disto/buy?srsltid=AfmBOorgt9c1sJfw3_x_ynsk4BbvCuW-TgIL7tGvkGUAk58onyc8G9VZ

A priori this product corresponded well to our needs, quite simple to use and exploit (although the export in dxf 3D was not great to import into SW).
This product is no longer marketed (released more than 10 years ago).

Do you have an alternative to advise me?

Personally I'm not very excited about the 3D scanner, I'm afraid of the amount of data and the processing time behind it to simply extract a few key points (walls, floor, ...).

Thank you!

Hello g.terraz;
Well I'm looking for a scanner for my house, ...
And I'd like to know more +, so I'm following this thread to keep myself informed.
Thank you @+.
AR.

Hello

I take advantage of this post to make a call to the community: do you have any feedback on 3D scanners:
-cost of materials
- cost of the software (purchase + maintenance)
- Ease of importing the point cloud into Solidworks.
-Possibility to clean and simplify the point cloud on the software associated with the scanner to import only geometric elements into solidworks (lines, planes, axis, cylinders...)
- Ease of use for geometric dimensional control
- Measurement accuracy of your scanning tool (like between two faces whose distance you could measure otherwise: palmer/caliper...)

Hello froussel,
I found just the purchase price between 8000 and 10000€, possibility to rent it, for the rest I am also inquiring.
Have a nice day.
@+.
AR.

Hello

Maybe you will find what you are looking for with these models:

They seem to me to be suitable for your use on objects of moderate size, more than for scanning buildings

1 Like

=> Whatever the equipment chosen, there will still be the processing of point clouds to anticipate...
https://forum.mycad.visiativ.com/t/nuages-de-point/110090

1 Like

Yes, good luck, even Météo-France is no longer able to correctly anticipate clouds!!

4 Likes

Frankly, point clouds are a hassle... It seems that it was designed on purpose not to be exploited...
It wouldn't surprise me if in a few years our smartphones manage to release usable stuff!

2 Likes

FYI, I contacted Leica about the 3D Disto, a priori they have a substitute product that will be released soon.
Given the comments I'm still not convinced by the 3D scan, so to be continued...

1 Like