Skeleton Method / SOLIDWORKS

Hello

For the past few years, I have been carrying out projects on SolidWorks with the use of a skeleton. This method is very interesting on many points and solves many problems related to the software, to the user, and establishes a structured working method.

I see only advantages:

- Lighten models, remove constraints, fix parts at the origin
-Oriented external references to a single piece, the skeleton.
-Establish a common working method
- Security of common references in the framework of a collective project
-Speed of design execution
- Controlled models (Part Family configuration)
-Assembly dedicated to drawings (The references being common to all the parts I create assemblies or I reassemble parts, and at the same time I lighten my drawings)

Several types of skeleton according to needs:

Skeleton for Equipment Layout:
For example, in the case of piping routing. Positioning of machines and routing points, and support tables. I used it as part of the Oïl & Gas project, water treatment

**Total Skeleton 1**
Make all the sketches in the skeleton in 2D to make all the parts as well as their references. The parts contain only functions that point to an assembly via projections on planes also made on the skeleton.

Total Skeleton 2
Insert the skeleton (Part) into a part, in the same way as the previous skeleton perform the functions by projecting onto planes created using the skeleton. The advantage of the latter method is that the parts become independent of any assembly. The most efficient for my taste, because in the case of assemblies dedicated to drawings you considerably lighten your drawings, a major advantage with SolidWorks.
Be careful not to use the sketches from the skeleton directly, but to make new sketch plans and projections of the skeleton sketches into new part sketches!!

The purpose of this topic is to share, explain, discover, and learn other methods to improve our projects.

In addition, these methods apply to other software, I have personally used them on SOLIDWORKS, INVENTOR, PLANT3D. CATIA

Do not hesitate if you have any questions or suggestions for improvements, or new methods, I am at your disposal.

1 Like

Hello FRED78,

Thank you for your information.
For my part, a skeleton is uninteresting for a part or assembly, formass production. For one (or more) special machine(s) it does less so.
Here is my opinion on this subject, I use it for example for a machine, that for a part or assembly shape (which always have the same shape), for example a rectangular wooden box, I also use a skeleton for example in mechanically welded.
@+.
AR

9-methodes-squelette-bande_0.zip (35.2 MB)

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback

The video is exactly what I achieve in the 3rd method that I presented. What is unfortunate is that the explanation stops at the design of the skeleton. However, it is in the use of the latter and its final goal, there can be several purposes and uses.

I agree with you in the case of a single part, but as soon as you have an assembly it makes sense.

I've had feedback from people who have never used these methods telling me that they prefer constraints. But one does not preclude the other, in the case where the piece is independent and contains its skeleton. It is then possible to unblock and constrain it after being put in position

Indeed in the case of a machine, or as in the example for a kinematics that will serve as a skeleton for the model. The applications are quite numerous, and in some cases I understand the skeleton is useless.

I found drawings to be lighter and this brought great flexibility, especially in the case of assembly dedicated to drawings.

I will read the 9 methods later

1 Like

Hello FRED78,
Yes indeed to be deepened...
Especially for MEPs.
@+.
AR.

1 Like