SolidWorks: Dimensioning a Hole on a Cone Face

Hello

I can't rate the size of a hole made with the wizard for drilling on a cone face.

In the drawing, using "Smart Dimensioning" I get a message that tells me: "The selected entity could not be converted to a circular line or arc".

Thank you in advance for your help.

-Franck.

Good evening

Can you post a picture of the piece and if possible of the hole made.

In particular, what type of axis did you use (Plan, etc...) . The MEP must not find the reference in the space from which the message is delivered.

Kind regards

1 Like

Hello

Just display the hole sketch and you can put your side on it and if it doesn't work I cheat by putting a circular sketch in the center of the hole and the side at the right diam.

Thank you for your answers. I can't find any way to get this piercing rated.

Here is the image of the room.

cone.jpg

Try the insert==>object tab of the model and select the desired dimension options.

insertion==> object of the model adds dimensions to me, but not the one of the hole in question :-(

Hello

For your drawing and the dimension of this hole, you have to make a view according to the inclination of the hole and normally your dimension should appear.

And so this view of the can do it in the 3d or MEP...

@+ar.

2020-04-27_074824.jpg
2 Likes

... Or view on 3D see screenshot...

2020-04-27_074405.jpg
1 Like

the more this view and the more normal it is  done by inserting this view into the drawing...

@+.

AR

2020-04-27_074336.jpg
1 Like

Hello

Just to add, if you're not in the plan you can't insert the dimensions, here is @+.

AR.

Hello A.R,

Thank you very much for your answers, which indeed seem to be the right solution.

I also confirm that by tilting the model  (Insert / Functions / Move & Copy then rotate) at the precise angle of the cone, I can then dimension the inclined hole in the MEP. However, this impacts all views because the tilt is applied to the entire model.

So my last problem is to be able to create an angled view exactly at the angle of my cone, which I can't  do. (Yes sorry I'm starting with Solidworks :-)

If you could guide me on this last operation, it would be very nice!

Thank you.

No, not at all if you create a new one by calling it "1" for  example,  that's what I do...

Go @+.

AR.

Hello Franck,

If you create a view by naming it "1" for example, it doesn't disrupt the other standard views, that's what I do on my MEPs ...

Go @+.

AR

1 Like

I must be doing it wrong. How do you create this new view at the precise angle of the cone?

Hello

You need to create an auxiliary view.

http://help.solidworks.com/2016/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/c_auxiliary_view.htm

Cdlt

2 Likes

Hello

No, you click on the face you want and you save your new view without disrupting the other standard views.

If not an axillary view and it's even simpler, see

http://help.solidworks.com/2016/french/SolidWorks/sldworks/c_auxiliary_v...

Like yannick.petit.

@+.

AR

1 Like

Hello Yannick,

An auxiliary view uses a reference edge. What do I use in the case of my cone?

Thank you

-Franck.

I can't click on the face I want, the hole is drilled on the cone, so it's not a face, that's my whole problem.

Thank you for your help. 

Hello

Weird!
In this case, you can create a new plan

Kind regards

1 Like

If you click in the surface of the hole and you will see, then you record your view.

But the best way not to get caught up in your head is to take an auxiliary view and that's it. @+

PC: Sketch of what I'm doing to fix it

croquis.pdf