[Solidworks] Removal of Swept Material in a Cylinder

Hello

I have to remove material from a cylinder following a precise pattern.
I introduced the guide sketch thanks to a winding, my sketch profile is in contact with this trajectory but impossible to apply the function. Each time I get the message "The scan operation has not been completed"

Anyone have an idea? I'm drying.

Thank you in advance

Hello;

I recommend the " winding " or "impression" function for this type of material removal...

https://help.solidworks.com/2023/French/SolidWorks/sldworks/HIDD_DVE_SURF_WRAPPING_SKETCH.htm?verRedirect=1

Kind regards.

2 Likes

Hello

The winding function was used for the plot. It does not allow me to remove the desired form.

Normally if with the notion of debossing.
Otherwise, taking the problem the other way around, transform your cylinder into sheet metal, and on its flat (unfolded) carry out the removal of material from your drawing in " normal to ".

You can also work in the same way in surface mode, and then add the thicknesses later.

1 Like

It is a circuit to pass from the heating wiring where the starting and ending point are next to each other and not a shape to be simply dug in reality. Embossing does not work in this configuration. That's why I thought the removal of swept material was the most suitable but it doesn't want to ^^

Is it possible that you share your room to do a test?
(Solidworks 2022 for me).

I'm in 2023 :s it won't be compatible I think.

What if you closed your sketch outside the cylinder?

Good idea but unfortunately already explored, in this case, it is the winding that is not validated.

I tried in sheet metal mode... by taking a few liberties on geometry... :sweat_smile:

Does this seem close to your request?
Item2.SLDPRT (624.2 KB)

1 Like

Except that as I mentioned before, it's not this result that I want, but a path that follows the sketch and not a removal of material from the shape :wink: .

Hello
I have already encountered a similar problem. In my case the problem lay in the fact that the diameter of my profile (circular profile) was greater than twice one of the radii of the trajectory. The angle formed by the ray being at 90°, the sweep could not be created.
On your line the first corner seems to have a fairly tight radius, the problem could come from there...
Kind regards

2 Likes

Message removed. I just saw that I didn't understand the question

Okay (it's Friday and I don't have very clear :laughing:ideas)
Here is another proposal that is probably more relevant...

Part3.SLDPRT (1.1 MB)

… but I think @Rubi is on the best track with the spokes of the trajectory...

Have you tried changing the Ø of your profile? You must have a tangency when removing material that is wandering around (Solidworks does not like to remove material at 0)

Rubi: Unfortunately that's not it, my profile is 1.6 and my " turn " is 3.5.

Maclane: yes it would be more that except that it's inside the cylinder and not outside.

Coin37coin: it is not a circular profile but oval :wink:

Another proposal:

Make the "solid " shape in a body different from your part, then perform a combination by extraction in your main body?

2 Likes

new test (the representation of the removal of material is not easy since indoors...)
Based on the same principle as the previous test but the cylinder is made in two stages (before and after winding)

Part3.SLDPRT (1.2 MB)

Note: Pay attention to the orientation settings of the profile in relation to the trajectory for ovals ...

1 Like

That's a good idea. First of all, it allows you to see what the scan looks like.

A very stupid thing about its sweep is that it rotates.
So you have to put the options that allow the tool to always point to the center along its path. If the tool has a fixed direction it will crash. Bring a long enough tool too (you don't have to be right tangent but protrude inside the cylinder)

1 Like

Maclane thank you for taking your head on a Friday ^^ so for your last rendering yes but no :stuck_out_tongue: when I say that it's inside the cylinder it means the same as what you did on the outside side but in the inside and not in the cylinder :sweat_smile: but I appreciate the effort ^^