Unit of tolerance

Hello

I would like to change the unity of my tolerances on Solidworks which are currently in mm. I would like to have the tolerances in micron while keeping the dimensions in mm, is it possible?

Thanking you, I wish you a nice day.

Hello

Uh... What for? How will your workshop understand that your dimension is in one unit and your tolerance in another?

Apart from creating sources of error for your suppliers, nothing good will come out of such a rating system

5 Likes

We prefer to work with micron tolerances as we work on small parts. It may seem illogical, I understand you, but it makes more sense for us to work with dimensions in millimeters and tolerances in microns. I would say that it would be more adapted to our needs. + There will be no contact with suppliers, this method will be mainly for internal use.

That, I understand very well the need to work in microns in micromechanics ... What escapes me is the very idea of working with two different units on one dimension. This is neither desired nor desirable.

By the way, I have the impression that Solidworks didn't take this possibility into account either :wink:

On the other hand, if you want to " tinker", you can leave your tolerance with a value. Then you activate the tolerance modifier in which you add [ALT + 0181] in order to add the micron symbol.

Not a fan of it at all, but hey... These are not my plans :smiley:

4 Likes

I had found this function, unfortunately you have to redo it each time you disconnect / reconnect and select it for each side. As you said, it seems to me that Solidworks does not allow you to have two different units in a document... Thank you anyway :grin:

Hello;

And yet they are not the last to propose (impose?) contradictory elements or options. (See item:
Not seeing through a transparent component - #18 by sbadenis)

=> Not a fan of the method either. This is bound to be a source of potential errors, even internally.

… I wonder if this would not be feasible via a macro (I'm talking about the " ALT + 0181 " technique)... Probably, I'll take a look at it on occasion.

… A few avenues to explore:

Kind regards.

3 Likes

Hello

You can possibly do something with the double ratings.
Main dimension in mm and secondary dimension in microns.
It stings the eye though:

2 Likes

Hello, thank you for your advice, unfortunately as you say it can sting the eye... On a part with several constraints, this can be more disturbing than beneficial... Thank you anyway :smiley: