Ranting

For my part, from 4 crashes per day on average (in roughly assembly) we went to 2-4 per week once the PDM was installed. And if we take back files outside PDM on the network, the instability returns.

I also have a bat file, it helps with some crashes.

3 Likes

For your information, I do a lot of R&D at the moment, which allows me to work a lot locally and it doesn't prevent the very frequent crashes.
since this morning already 2 and it's only Monday.
It is possible to send a message on the error report, I let you imagine what I can put there.

1 Like

Because you still think that anyone really reads these famous reports? :rofl:
Imagine there would be more people needed to process the reports, than to modify the source code of Solidworks. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

no I know that no one reads that's why I let myself go :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hello

I don't have many crashes at the moment, except for this one for the past few weeks:

With a little hindsight and a lot of humor, that SW crashes is one thing...
But if it crashes a module of the Windows .Net Framework, that's the best of the integration :v:
For your information, Windows update of the .Net this morning... I think I'm going to take it off :eject_button:

Hello;

It just goes to show that you really have to think about disabling Automatic Windows Updates, accepting all the inconveniences that go with it...
My favorite area in their " Solidworks Error Report" (note that " Errors " is plural :sweat_smile:):

Kind regards.

1 Like

and big me too

1 Like

Hello
About 2 years ago I let out a rant about this software (SOLIDWORKS) with an open question "Who is really satisfied with SOLIDWORKS?"
The feedback was really mixed really 50/50!
I still notice the same bugs, NOTHING CHANGES!!
Users are satisfied with this tool because there is no choice now that the thread is well tied to the paw and the fight is tough every day to try just to do our job design, study, draw!
The job is no longer at the center of our day but rather how to bias this software to simply get something correct in a correct time!
The time wasted is phenomenal with commands to be repeated 2.3 times before they are finally digested by the software...
For the independent that I am, this software is absolutely not professional... too much waste of time, bugs and crashes!!
I'm not going to add more than that but just be careful that one day an average software doesn't compete with Dassault with a competitive and professional tool by siphoning off users like me who are disappointed!

Pierre DUCHET

5 Likes

And boom 3:37 pm solidworks crash and we'll notice the complexity of the thing lol.

Here you are... I planted at the same time :laughing: SW also wants its Weekend :joy:

1 Like

Hello Pierre @peduchet

I take the liberty of reacting to your message and offer you the following point of view (to be debated of course)

The problem is certainly broken (put here what is the most broken) but the solution lies elsewhere AMHA.

Indeed, there is already the Cloud version of solidworks which has the same ergonomics as the stand alone we use.
Which means that even if Dassault tells us with our mouth in the mouth that the standalone version will continue in parallel with the Cloudy version, it also indicates that they will be content to offer us new features all the time but without rewriting the parts of older (or even very, very old) code.

You will notice that the strategy to prepare us for the disappearance of the Stand alone version has already begun without the less attentive among us noticing.

This would also deserve a special discussion on this subject!

Kind regards

4 Likes

cc and yes it's him again lol.

Hello
Is it a local or network document?

1 Like

For your information, SW2023 in test.
Opening of an assembly under 2020=5mn and 2m30 under sw2023 SP5.
During the MyCAD day in Nantes, we were also told about a clear improvement in Assembly and MEP.
And 20 to 30% faster on graphics performance.
For my part, I continue to test the 2023 as soon as possible but the 1st test carried out before the MYCAD day confirms for once really the claims of increased speed.
Let's just hope it doesn't also crash 2 times faster! :crazy_face:

4 Likes

To be sure @sbadenis , hi, I prefer a program that takes 10min to launch and stays open all day, than a program that opens in 2 minutes but crashes 10 times a day.

1 Like

I'm currently in R&D so I'm local.
I didn't have anything else opened, only these 2 rooms, nothing heavy.

I downloaded the 2023 SP5 I will install it next week we glass well.
Thank you for your feedback on the 2023 SP5.

1 Like

We'll talk about it next week and hope it's better for once!
For my part, I start from a clean installation without SW to be sure not to import a corrupted registry key or one that could corrupt the new version.
I hope that the tests via large assemblies (+ 50,000 parts) will confirm the 1st attempts, but for that I'll have to find some time...

2 Likes

Hello;

Quick question @OBI_WAN What RAM values do you have?
I ask the question because (this is very subjective) a large part of the " spontaneous" Solidworks crashes have been avoided by going from 32 to 128GB on my computer.

• Solidworks 2022 premium.
    In addition, a regular " dump " of the directory:
    C:\Users%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Temp* and in **C:\temp

Note: also remember to keep a lot of space in reserve on your hard drive so that Solidworks can write all these " temporary " files.

Note: on Windows 10, you can easily estimate the " masses " of the different files.
=> Windows/System/Stoke option...

That said, I sincerely sympathize my dear @OBI_WAN it's unbearable these crashes ... A change you were telling yourself:
" Well, I'm saving right after this little function..."  (...) (…) (…) ..." And sea#@!!  »

Kind regards.

2 Likes

Bjr,
I'm at 64GB of RAM.
I empty the temp files at startup as explained above.
I also have a BAT file to empty the temps when I crash.
Thanks for the info.
may the force be with you.

1 Like